• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

position_meeting & place_meeting, what's the difference???

Pedro Y

As you can see in the title, I am genuinely confused by the difference between those 2. I was trying to let an object destroy itself when clicked by the mouse, and I tried
GML:
if (mouse_check_button(mb_left)) && (place_meeting(mouse_x,mouse_y,self)) instance_destroy();
, but it didn't work. I then tried the same thing with position_meeting,
GML:
if (mouse_check_button(mb_left)) && (position_meeting(mouse_x,mouse_y,self)) instance_destroy();
, and it worked just fine. Can someone please explain?

TheouAegis

position_meeting() takes a point at the coordinates you specified and checks if the specified object is there.

place_meeting() takes the object running the code and places it at the coordinates you specified, then checks if the specified object collides with it.

self can't collide with self, now can it?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Read up: What's the Difference: Collision Functions
Place vs. Position
The most important difference is whether the function name contains place or position Functions starting with place always put the current instance that is executing the code at the specified position and checks if its sprite (or mask if assigned) collides with another object.

On the other hand, functions named position checks the exact point, regardless of the instance that is executing the code.

placevsposition.png

Here are some consequences:
  • place_*() functions don't work at all if the instance executing the code has no sprite or mask.
  • place_*() functions never detect collision with itself, whereas position functions can be used with self.

mcube-12139

place_meeting(x, y, A): Do I collide with A if I'm at (x, y)?
position_meeting(x, y, A): Does A collide with point(x, y)?