Job Offer - Programmer [POSITION-FILLED] Looking for a programmer who's not camera shy (10 hours / week).

Update: This position has been filled. Thanks to everyone who said hello :)

Hi All,

"What a strange request!" You think to yourself. "Wow, has he ever met a programmer before?"

I know, I know. What am I conducting some kind of FansOnly gig? Actually, no. You see, I'm also a programmer, and have been working from home in this role for several years now. The secret I have found? Communication skills. They're not even that good - sometimes I don't even wear pants to meetings. But what I always do, is show my face. You can tell a lot about a person by their face, if you ask me, and it's the least someone can offer a company who is willing to share their code-base with you on the proviso that you don't steal it. That level of trust has been a big thing for me, and has been one of the biggest aspects keeping me away from hiring another programmer.

But you gotta be in it to win it!

So, yeah. I am (Survansix are) looking to hire a programmer for 10 hours / week. The work involves sifting through lots of custom code, and lots of understanding my gibberish. We're gonna need to be able to chat about it - and as funny as I think I am when I'm leaving comments behind for an invisible helper at 3am, I'm still just communicating over text. Text is not good enough!

I'm looking for three things:
  1. Willing to bring a good attitude and a presentable face to a video call once per week for an hour.
  2. A mid-level understanding of data structures and OOP.
  3. A commitment to making friends and sticking around.
Things I don't mind so much:
  1. English fluency. I care more about a good attitude than I do English fluency - our artist, Marcelo, has found frequent video calls to be invaluable for developing his English. If you're okay with getting a bit of an Aussie accent, I'm okay with helping you learn English :)
  2. Programming skill. Whether you've been in the industry for 6 months or 6 years, I can find you something to sink your teeth into. This project has taught me more about how games work than a CS degree did, and I have no doubt it'll do the same for you too.
You bring these values to my table and we're talking long-term collaboration. I am, like the rest of us, but a humble indie - the money pie isn't infinite, and the pay won't be $40 USD / hour. But what I can give you is a reciprocated commitment to working together and supporting each other as programmers over a long period of time. We can negotiate your pay and talk about deliverables over a call. I can pay you with TransferWise, Paypal, BitCoin, whatever you like.

I'm looking to make a bunch of really great games, and I'm going to need your help to do it.

If you're interested, have a read of this Text-Dump Rationale for Aether Edit (that's what we're building). And if you're still interested, PM me a message or shoot an email to [email protected].

Last edited: