Popular GameMaker Books

W

Warren Long

Fantastic post.

I have HeartBeast book, although great it could have improvements like an index.

Anyway.. how do these books relate to Game Maker now, at the current version?

Can anyone have input which concentrate primarily on GML or drag and drop. I'm after a nice book to read on Holiday, but want GML mainly.

B

Blackened

I just want to point out that there are a few Pre Game Maker Studio books listed here that are severely dated. A lot of changes have even occurred within the Game Maker Studio framework such as the addition of the GUI/Application Surface, tutorials and obsolete/new/legacy functions.

Be sure to find a book that is relatively up to date for the iteration of Game Maker that you are using, preferably one that updates information via e-book occasionally. I would strongly suggest using Game Maker Studio over a prior iteration of Game Maker.

Nice compilation of information/links! Oh the nostalgia! Thanks. -Bikkie

W

Warren Long

Thanks,

I'm thinking of getting the Cook Book, is it mainly GML? And relevant to GMS?

True Valhalla

Full-Time Developer
GMC Elder
Many of these books are specific to GameMaker 8 (or earlier) which is not even available for purchase anymore. Definitely stick with the more up-to-date books if you're considering buying any of these.

My upcoming book Learn To Make Games will teach GameMaker Studio 2 to absolute beginners. I highly recommend Ben's GameMaker Language book if you're already working with GMS and want to improve upon your existing knowledge.

Last edited:

hdarren

Why do you even need a book? Just read some online tutorials or youtubes to get started and start experimenting.

I'm thinking of getting the Cook Book, is it mainly GML? And relevant to GMS?
From what little I know, it's mostly Drag and Drop.

Why do you even need a book? Just read some online tutorials or youtubes to get started and start experimenting.
Because sometimes books have better information than Youtube videos. For example, uheartbeast/Ben. He has some excellent tutorials on Youtube. However, his book on GML--which I highly recommend, by the way--goes in-depth to a great degree. All but the most advanced users will have several things to learn from it.

S

Space invader

Nice piece of info. I have a one book but is outdated and had to go out of my way to work with the situation

S

Space invader

Let me know which book(s) are outdated and I'll remove them from the list.
Sorry for being vague. The game maker apprentice uses game maker 8. There is a lot of things that you can use in game maker studio. The outdated parts are not that long is a detail or two. Then again I'm halfway on the book.

K

Kris Hyre

Because sometimes books have better information than Youtube videos. For example, uheartbeast/Ben. He has some excellent tutorials on Youtube. However, his book on GML--which I highly recommend, by the way--goes in-depth to a great degree. All but the most advanced users will have several things to learn from it.
Yeah, I bought uheartbeast's book because I appreciate what he's done with his tutorials (which inspired me to get back into GM:S) and wanted to support him a bit. I use it as a reference while working, as I'm a newb, still. It's a good book, but could use some more editing and improvements...

I have HeartBeast book, although great it could have improvements like an index.
...like an index. Seriously, that was one heck of an oversight.

W

Warren Long

That coo book was published dec 2015.... can't be that out dated compared to some.

csanyk

I started out with GameMaker's Apprentice, which was a texbook for a class I took. It was very well written, clear and easy to follow. I got enough of an understanding of how GM8 worked from it, and since then I've relied on the GMC forums, docs.yoyogames.com, and sites like gmlscripts.net and tutorial channels on YouTube like Heartbeast and Shaun Spalding's. There's a lot of great material out there for free these days.

As I taught myself stuff, I took notes, and published them on my website, csanyk.com, and they get a fair amount of traffic every day, too. I found that writing out lengthy explanation for how stuff works really, really helped me to solidify my understanding, and gave me a reference to go back to that I'd guaranteed understand if I needed a refresher. I'm sure they've helped out tons of other users over the years, as well. Occasionally I get a compliment or a thank-you from a reader. It always makes my day.

RekNepZ

GMC Historian
Wow. I had no idea there were so many books on Game Maker out there! I remember being amazed back in the day that there was even one!

G

Guest User

I've been hankering to create a 'video poker' game for months, however I'm still a beginner and cannot do that and as there are no youtube gms tutorials on how to do that, I would have bought a book on it if such a book existed (I looked), also some of us learn better reading from a book than watching someone on youtube.

G

Guest User

is there a gamemaker book based on drag & drop?
Lots of GM books are drag and drop only (I spent ages trawling amazon for them but I was seeking gml books)
The Game Makers Apprentice, Game Makers Companion, Game Maker for Dummies are all D&D only.

hogwater

The old Game Maker's Apprentice book's description of a for loop is still way better than the current manual.

M

Messsi1

Are there any gml books that isn't for 'getting into' gml.. Let me know which book(s) are outdated and I'll remove them from the list.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Are there any gml books that isn't for 'getting into' gml.. Let me know which book(s) are outdated and I'll remove them from the list.
That's like asking for introductory books that aren't for introducing a novice to the subject. From my experience, if you want to get beyond the rookie stage of GML, it's general computer science and math that you need to look into, not more GML-specific guidance.

GMWolf

aka fel666
That's like asking for introductory books that aren't for introducing a novice to the subject. From my experience, if you want to get beyond the rookie stage of GML, it's general computer science and math that you need to look into, not more GML-specific guidance.
I 100% agree

S

samuelx1

Lots of GM books are drag and drop only (I spent ages trawling amazon for them but I was seeking gml books)
The Game Makers Apprentice, Game Makers Companion, Game Maker for Dummies are all D&D only.
gamemakerbooks.com is making a new book on drag & drop and gml its coming out in mid december and i think its 400 pages long and its paperback and downloadable you should order it it looks good

R

robstone15

Yeah, I think we were confused because you said GMT for the original deadline, and didn't tell us what your timezone is, but that's cool, more time for me!

mykyl66

Any current recommendations on books? Must be mainly GML. All the links above are so far out of date or are dead links. The asteroids tutorial worked in Game Maker 2.3 but the others throw up crazy errors that I assume are to do with gamemaker interface and not the tutorial.
Cheers