policy update sms

RizbIT

https://play.google.com/about/privacy-security-deception/permissions/

Another policy update from Google but from what it states i am assuming that we can not now ask for permissions related to sending any SMS from the app?

In some apps i have a sharing section, where users enter their friends mobile number or selects one from contact (Android) and then presses share to share the app via a SMS message.

So does this mean that now i can implement such a feature and it has to be removed?

Mert

I think it's for apps which has the capacity to send SMS directly. Since your application does not send SMS directly, but opens up the default SMS app of devices and the player send that SMS through that app, you should be fine.

For example : Share this game to your friend > Opens share screen with lots of apps (Facebook, Instagram, "SMS", Whatsapp etc.) > Player chooses SMS option > Default SMS app of the device opens up > SMS screen pre-filled with text "Hey I just played RizbIT's game, you wanna join?

In this case you're fine.

BUT
If your application has the capacity of sending SMS without 3rd party app, then this concerns you. (Because your app may also have the ability to process SMS information : Say it is for marketing & analytical purposes, then you must prepare your legal base for such operation)

RizbIT

I think it's for apps which has the capacity to send SMS directly. Since your application does not send SMS directly, but opens up the default SMS app of devices and the player send that SMS through that app, you should be fine.

For example : Share this game to your friend > Opens share screen with lots of apps (Facebook, Instagram, "SMS", Whatsapp etc.) > Player chooses SMS option > Default SMS app of the device opens up > SMS screen pre-filled with text "Hey I just played RizbIT's game, you wanna join?

BUT
If your application has the capacity of sending SMS without 3rd party app, then this concerns you. (Because your app may also have the ability to process SMS information : Say it is for marketing & analytical purposes, then you must prepare your legal base for such operation)
so if i use an extension that sends the SMS directly from the app without opening the SMS application (and then user has to manually send SMS) then I have to change or remove this now?

RizbIT

BUT
I think you are wrong.

see this
https://www.zdnet.com/article/googl...pps-can-request-call-log-and-sms-permissions/

RizbIT

yes but guess what big companies or specific apps will have consent and permission to do this. So whay ive read is that for purpose of security the average developers app or game can not ask for sms permission nor can it receive or send sms