• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Pokémon-example game

Sisyphus

Hi all

New to the forum (although not new to GM) - wondering if there exists an example Pokémon-clone or RPG base game that can be downloaded and adapted?

If not, I am wondering whether there would be community interest in one being made available.

Feel free to share your thoughts!

Sisyphus

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I made one. GMS2-only, but it uses a lot of the cool new features like tile brushes and GUI variables. Has full battle system, box system, dialogue system, badges, shops, and moves and monsters can be added with 1 line of code. (Granted, a very long line of code, but still pretty easy to do).

Some shameless promotional screenshots:

Sisyphus

I made one. GMS2-only, but it uses a lot of the cool new features like tile brushes and GUI variables. Has full battle system, box system, dialogue system, badges, shops, and moves and monsters can be added with 1 line of code. (Granted, a very long line of code, but still pretty easy to do).

Some shameless promotional screenshots:

Thanks for commenting Yal! 🙂 That looks like a pretty comprehensive system. looks fast too. Good to know it's all possible before I embark on making my own! My long term goal is to make a game which bears resemblance to Pokémon but is completely different (I feel that pokemon is one of those "systems" games, that if you can make the system yourself you can programme more complex stuff - as a moderate GML user returning to it after many years I needed this kind of challenge!).

If I get completely stuck I might have to message you for help 😅

Cheers

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Well, if you're in it for the neverending challenge, you definitely picked the right username :p

From my experiences, the core systems were the easy part... most of the development time went into visual effects and coding menus. Even with a stable menu system that makes it easy to add new GUI elements and menu trigger events, turns out it takes a lot of time to make them look good and function properly. RPGs just happen to have a lot of auxilary menus that you forget about.