• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Pokémon kit

M

MonsterCatcher

What’s the best Pokémon kit that includes all necessary scripting in place? What’s the best software to make an RPG with such a programming kit? I’m talking it should have monster catching, battling, and storage already ready to go so I just have to draw my monsters. This is NOT for a Pokémon fan game. It’s a totally different RPG in which you can catch enemies, which has also been done in DragonQuest, Persona 5, and more. So it’s not the Essentials kit I’m looking for. I’ve found some plugins but really don’t know where to begin. I’m also looking for plugins for Zelda-style puzzle dungeons and a farming mechanism like Stardew Valley.

Kyon

What’s the best Pokémon kit that includes all necessary scripting in place? What’s the best software to make an RPG with such a programming kit? I’m talking it should have monster catching, battling, and storage already ready to go so I just have to draw my monsters. This is NOT for a Pokémon fan game. It’s a totally different RPG in which you can catch enemies, which has also been done in DragonQuest, Persona 5, and more. So it’s not the Essentials kit I’m looking for. I’ve found some plugins but really don’t know where to begin. I’m also looking for plugins for Zelda-style puzzle dungeons and a farming mechanism like Stardew Valley.
lol

uhhh I guess your easiest route would be RPG maker,
try this:

I'm also thinking you're on the wrong forum,
but IF you're interested in learning game maker (and have the patience for it), there are lots of a cool pokemon-type tutorials. But it'll have to be step-by-step and will probably take a while.

M

MonsterCatcher

lol

uhhh I guess your easiest route would be RPG maker,
try this:

I'm also thinking you're on the wrong forum,
but IF you're interested in learning game maker (and have the patience for it), there are lots of a cool pokemon-type tutorials. But it'll have to be step-by-step and will probably take a while.
here’s one made in Game Maker studio: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=449371237&insideModal=1

I’d like an informed opinion about whether or not it’s any good before I get started with it.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
None so far, but I'm working on a GMS2 project which will basically have every feature present in gen1 Pokémon. I'm working on the last few GUI elements right now and after that it'll just need some example content (picking starting monster, some example trainers, an actual area to explore...). I can't say when it'll release, but keep your eyes peeled (follow my social media and stuff to get devlogs and advertisement spam for new releases~)

It's available on this page, and it's finally released now!

Here's some WIP GIFs:

Last edited:
M

MonsterCatcher

None so far, but I'm working on a GMS2 project which will basically have every feature present in gen1 Pokémon. I'm working on the last few GUI elements right now and after that it'll just need some example content (picking starting monster, some example trainers, an actual area to explore...). I can't say when it'll release, but keep your eyes peeled (follow my social media and stuff to get devlogs and advertisement spam for new releases~)

When it releases, it'll be available on this page, but as I said, it's not ready for a public release yet. (It's going to give you a 404 error until the proper release - if you're reading this in the future, feel free to take a gamble and see if I managed to get the project done yet~)

If you wanna try making a Soulslike instead, though, how about trying my SoulsVania Engine? It has the advantage of being finished, so you could get started right away.

Here's some WIP GIFs:

This SoulsVania thing is cool but it’s not from a top-down perspective, can I change that easily?

I’m going to follow your Pokémon progress. What’s your social media link?

D

dannyjenn

That looks cool, Yal.

I myself am currently working on a gen I Pokémon-style RPG, but I haven't yet decided if I'll be doing it in GameMaker or writing it from scratch in assembly language for the Game Boy. (I've dabbled in assembly language and would like to try a serious project, but I'm afraid if I do that then the game will never get finished. Assembly language is hard! Maybe I'll start smaller and work my way up, lol. I suppose I could make the game in GameMaker for now, and then rewrite it in ASM once I'm more experienced...)