Point&Click?

P

PopatoChisp

Hi everybody,
I'm planning on making a Point&Click game with GameMaker but I barely found any tutorials.
I found some for movement trough clicking, but that's it.
Does somebody here know any other tutorials for point&click games?
(for example tutorials on how to make the puzzles involving combining items etc.
or how to make dialog boxes where you can choose answers.)

I would be really grateful for answers or some tips on how to make such a game.

I'm not aware of any tutorials specifically.

There are always a load of ways to approach any problem but I would personally look at using a ds grid to store items/combined items/whether items can be combined info. Then clicking on the object with the mouse will alter the relevant ds grid slot. e.g. 0 = not collected, 1 = collected.

Then for speech options use either separate objects for each text and outcome when clicked, or create collision rectangles over text options and based on whether player clicks within each rectangle, action the relevant outcome.

Hope this helps / makes sense?...

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
One idea for inventory puzzles is to have a 'parent' item you can drag around and drop on items in the environment, or in your inventory, and then use collision events for the valid combinations (with every inventory item being a child of that parent). So the parent handles the dragging and dropping, and the children handle collisions / interaction.

Pretty easy to handle, the hard part is making the objects move around between rooms, but there's solutions for that. You could use a ds_list to store what items are in your inventory (object IDs) and then create the draggable objects from code when you open your inventory, then delete them when you close the inventory.

P

PopatoChisp

I'm not aware of any tutorials specifically.

There are always a load of ways to approach any problem but I would personally look at using a ds grid to store items/combined items/whether items can be combined info. Then clicking on the object with the mouse will alter the relevant ds grid slot. e.g. 0 = not collected, 1 = collected.

Then for speech options use either separate objects for each text and outcome when clicked, or create collision rectangles over text options and based on whether player clicks within each rectangle, action the relevant outcome.

Hope this helps / makes sense?...
Yes, thank you, that helps a lot already.
And i'm sorry if the questions seemed stupid, I'm still a complete beginner ^^;

One idea for inventory puzzles is to have a 'parent' item you can drag around and drop on items in the environment, or in your inventory, and then use collision events for the valid combinations (with every inventory item being a child of that parent). So the parent handles the dragging and dropping, and the children handle collisions / interaction.

Pretty easy to handle, the hard part is making the objects move around between rooms, but there's solutions for that. You could use a ds_list to store what items are in your inventory (object IDs) and then create the draggable objects from code when you open your inventory, then delete them when you close the inventory.
Thank you!
Can I make it so I can drag the parent object onto other objects in the inventory to combine them that way too?
Ok, I'm going to look into this ds_list thingy, thank you :)
And i'm sorry if the questions seemed stupid, I'm still new

Last edited by a moderator:

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Ah, I have some experience with Point & Click games; in fact, I and Mercerenies recently made something like that for the latest GMC Jam (the entry post is here). It involved quite a lot of various code, but the fundamental principles of handling user interactions and dialogue were based on Stack Flow System, later released as Marketplace asset for free download. In that system, you can also find a very basic example of dialogue system (even with choices!) to get you started.

Hope this helps. ;)