• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Please use proper javadoc header format for scripts

A

alexandervrs

I noticed that there is an effort to have a more rich intellisense in the future and as such GMS2 seems to use a kind of javadoc format, however it uses multiple lines of double slash comments which produces a lot of visual noise in scripts and would not be compatible with document generators/parsers and the like.

Also you seem to use an extra @description tag, usually javadoc just finds the text on top of the header to use as description until a @param or @return.
You also use @returns instead of @return which is the standard.
Finally it'd be nice to allow other tags such as @license and @author

I'd recommend to use actual javadoc header format in order to be more within coding standards, compatible with documentation generators plus look nice and not as busy as the current way does. I attach an example of the current way (top) Vs. the standard way (bottom). Notice how much more readable it looks and less noisy.

And this is how I've also been formatting my scripts for GMS1.x for a while now :)

xot

GMLscripter
GMC Elder
It's actually JSDoc (the manual is in error) so I'm not sure how applicable this is. I'm all for nicely formatted headers though.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I may look at adding the /** idiom in as I quite like that... but we will not be dropping the @description part of it.

Russell