• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

PLEASE SIGN PETITION:

Good morning,

As reported by numerous news outlets, Illinois lawmaker, Rep. Marcus Evans Jr. has brought forward legislation which would aim to prohibit the sale of certain video games TO ANYONE via an amendment to existing legislation. I urge all of you to research this story AND STAND BY... Although I've just run across this news myself, I intend to draft a petition over the next few days admonishing this lawmaker's attack on creative expression, and to call for your support. I will be checking in on this thread over the next few days as I'm preparing my text. PLEASE reach out everywhere... And again, PLEASE STAND BY.

WE WILL NOT ACCEPT THIS EXCESS LEVEL OF CENSORSHIP!

Last edited:

Mk.2

I'd start by sharing some specifics about what the legislation entails. A quick search shows that it's yet another attack against violence portrayed in video games, erroneously blaming it for real life violence despite insubstantial evidence to support the claim. In this case, specifically blaming GTA V for the increase in carjackings in Chicago.

And here's a ridiculous quote from the lawmaker in question: "The bill would prohibit the sale of some of these games that promote the activities that we’re suffering from in our communities".

I'd start by sharing some specifics about what the legislation entails. A quick search shows that it's yet another attack against violence portrayed in video games, erroneously blaming it for real life violence despite insubstantial evidence to support the claim. In this case, specifically blaming GTA V for the increase in carjackings in Chicago.

And here's a ridiculous quote from the lawmaker in question: "The bill would prohibit the sale of some of these games that promote the activities that we’re suffering from in our communities".
Thank you for the response, Mk.2. Yes, I've been looking into the specifics. The petition I'm drafting is shaping up to be a mixture of such points along with a more over-arching condemnation of the censorship of arts/entertainment as a whole... We have to strike while the iron is hot, so to speak. I hope to get this doc online before Sunday evening —very critical given he'd introduced the amendment on Friday ("HB3531").

This petition was one that would only work as a brief statement or a very long statement, so I've gone the route of the former:

Rep. Marcus C. Evans Jr.,

We the undersigned respectfully request that you promptly withdraw “HB3531,” as this legislation, if enacted, —with all of its draconian provisions contained— would immediately do great harm to the rights of adult citizens’ ability to purchase the video games of their choosing, and companies’ rights to produce and to market them. Although your amendment to existing law focuses only on so-called “violent video games,” the precedent it would set as a result of its codification would open countless doors to new legal inquiries/ legislative proposals which would undoubtedly threaten the creation and accessibility of a more broader array of arts and entertainment products (media as a whole). We the undersigned resent such extreme attempts at censorship and pledge to lawfully protest these measures in defense of our rights.

Here is a link to the actual legislation which aims to make the sale of certain games illegal to anyone; and it will also allow for a broader redefining of what is "a violent video game.":

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Sounds like when jack thompson wanted rockstar games to burn because he thought a game that took place in a school with cartoonish violence was the same as a shoot shooting.
It wont pass, and if it does the big AAA companies will get it thrown out.

Gamebot

Oh boy this again, another attack on GTA saying it's responsible for so many evil things. I had such a final report when getting a degree a few years back when GTA 3 was already running it's mill. It turned out there were more positives then negatives and everything they were saying had NO evidence against it as there were no real numbers to substantiate. I literally created a pro and con list and while I think the pro list was about the same it had way more positives ideas then the cons.

A few basics are:

1. Persons being cooped up and government trying to take our rights away causes retaliation.
2. Coordination and Tactic Skills. Which comes down to problem solving and how fast you can fix the problem.
3. Teaming up allows everyone to communicate and work together as an effective group.
4. It allows those with mental or anger issues to take it out in the game world not reality world. I've seen this myself in a study I had to do. It was quite positive.
5. It has a an "M" for mature rating for a reason. Age is a number not a mentality. What mentality's are playing it?

I don't know if you wanted specifics but some points to bring up.

Which type of cars are being jacked?

As far as car jackings...there's too many variables.
GTA doesn't actually teach you how to car jack or how to hot wire a car. In game you simply open an unlocked door or smash a window sitting on the glass right after. A real car jacker would probably have tricks and tools for that specific car to get it all done and down the road within seconds. Which means they would have to know from "garage" experience or be taught to do these things.

I don't know numbers now but what percentage of total persons play to the amount of persons acting upon it. Probably low compared to the everyday thousands of persons playing it daily but when I did the report I think it was a substantiated 3%. ( There were claims up to 12%. ) That percentage is probably higher but don't be fooled as the number of people that play it have probably quadrupled or more.

Last edited:
Sounds like when jack thompson wanted rockstar games to burn because he thought a game that took place in a school with cartoonish violence was the same as a shoot shooting.
It wont pass, and if it does the big AAA companies will get it thrown out.
We still need to voice our concern though. It's often the case that when big companies are left to muscle through such contests without the guidance of "little guys," they compromise things just to get by. ;-)

Oh boy this again, another attack on GTA saying it's responsible for so many evil things. I had such a final report when getting a degree a few years back when GTA 3 was already running it's mill. It turned out there were more positives then negatives and everything they were saying had NO evidence against it as there were no real numbers to substantiate. I literally created a pro and con list and while I think the pro list was about the same it had way more positives ideas then the cons.

A few basics are:

1. Persons being cooped up and government trying to take our rights away causes retaliation.
2. Coordination and Tactic Skills. Which comes down to problem solving and how fast you can fix the problem.
3. Teaming up allows everyone to communicate and work together as an effective group.
4. It allows those with mental or anger issues to take it out in the game world not reality world. I've seen this myself in a study I had to do. It was quite positive.
5. It has a an "M" for mature rating for a reason. Age is a number not a mentality. What mentality's are playing it?

I don't know if you wanted specifics but some points to bring up.

Which type of cars are being jacked?

As far as car jackings...there's too many variables.
GTA doesn't actually teach you how to car jack or how to hot wire a car. In game you simply open an unlocked door or smash a window sitting on the glass right after. A real car jacker would probably have tricks and tools for that specific car to get it all done and down the road within seconds. Which means they would have to know from "garage" experience or be taught to do these things.

I don't know numbers now but what percentage of total persons play to the amount of persons acting upon it. Probably low compared to the everyday thousands of persons playing it daily but when I did the report I think it was a substantiated 3%. ( There were claims up to 12%. ) That percentage is probably higher but don't be fooled as the number of people that play it have probably quadrupled or more.
Either way, "simulation" does not begin or end with first-person controls of a digital character. I can close my eyes while simply listening to music and simulate anything good, bad, or in between. We cannot let those who would attempt this kind of censorship pull us into the minutia... That is where we loose because we get side-tracked away from baseline fundamentals.