• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Please make the IDE compatible with older runtimes

Ruimm

Hi
After updating the IDE to version 2.1.4.x it can no longer compile runtime 2.1.3.x on iOS (it gives errors about missing keys in the options file).

Since I have several problems with runtime 2.1.4 I'm still using 2.1.3 but every time I start the IDE and try to compile I need to make changes to the option_ios.yy file. Sometimes this will also reset the iOS options (will revert to default icons, splash screen, bundle name, etc, etc...)

So my request would be to make the IDE compatible with older versions of the runtime. If we have the option to select older runtimes (which I think is great to avoid errors that might arise between older projects and newer versions), the IDE should also be compatible with those versions, specially since this was a mandatory update.

Thanks

G

We should also be able to use a prior IDE. Apparently YYG just assumed that the IDE would never be so broken by an update that it would matter, but they underestimated themselves. If this is just about forcing us into a new EULA (sketchy), that could be done by tying it to the new version rather than forcing adoption. If it's about patching a piracy vulnerability, well, they already force phoning home, and I find it difficult to believe that the DRM couldn't be strengthened on their end.

Ruimm

We should also be able to use a prior IDE. Apparently YYG just assumed that the IDE would never be so broken by an update that it would matter, but they underestimated themselves. If this is just about forcing us into a new EULA (sketchy), that could be done by tying it to the new version rather than forcing adoption. If it's about patching a piracy vulnerability, well, they already force phoning home, and I find it difficult to believe that the DRM couldn't be strengthened on their end.
I think the reason the update was mandatory was because of compliance with GDPR, which will come into effect May 25th

G

I think the reason the update was mandatory was because of compliance with GDPR, which will come into effect May 25th
Oh, you mean the old IDE was collecting user data in a way that's now just straight up disallowed? That hadn't occurred to me. I assumed the forced new EULA papered over that by getting "consent" (of a sort) for any data collection.

Ruimm

Oh, you mean the old IDE was collecting user data in a way that's now just straight up disallowed? That hadn't occurred to me. I assumed the forced new EULA papered over that by getting "consent" (of a sort) for any data collection.
most apps/games that use any sort of analytics are not compliant with the new law, so probably yes (any sort of analytics, even anonymous data, needs to have explicit consent by the user now). But I'm actually happy with the changes they made to the IDE and all changes they have made with GM lately. But this broke my project in a few ways and I just wish I could use the old runtime without having to change the options file in a text editor...