• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - Code Please, help with light system

ru_bin

I want to create a lighting system in 3/4 view, as well as with a map of normals and heights. But my level in Open GL is enough only for working with colors and textures. And lighting systems like "fast light" and "light system 2d" are not suitable, because they are either for the platformer or for the top down game. It would help me a lot if you could help me understand the basic principles of lighting. I know how the "fast light" lighting system works and modified it in every way, but what to do in my situation, I have no idea what to do and would be glad if you briefly explained or threw links to resources (but I searched the entire Internet, I found only videos and screenshots of the finished version of the lighting system that I need, but not instructions) <sorry for my english>

rIKmAN

I want to create a lighting system in 3/4 view, as well as with a map of normals and heights. But my level in Open GL is enough only for working with colors and textures. And lighting systems like "fast light" and "light system 2d" are not suitable, because they are either for the platformer or for the top down game. It would help me a lot if you could help me understand the basic principles of lighting. I know how the "fast light" lighting system works and modified it in every way, but what to do in my situation, I have no idea what to do and would be glad if you briefly explained or threw links to resources (but I searched the entire Internet, I found only videos and screenshots of the finished version of the lighting system that I need, but not instructions) <sorry for my english>
This think this asset does what you are after and if so would be good to help you learn how to write your own system or modify / use as-is.
https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/7807/point-lighting-system-for-2d

Have a read of the guide linked on the marketplace page and see if is suitable.

Last edited:

ru_bin

Last edited:

rIKmAN

Yes, I saw this, this is what I need, but in the comments everyone writes that it is not optimized and suitable only for static scenes
The guide I mentioned to read through says at the start:
Asset Manual said:
In my game I have up to 6 static lights (can be more, my system can
handle many), but If you want them to be dynamic, don’t have too much of them. Test with
the performance numbers I will give in the tutorial and see what is convenient for you.
Each step of complexity or awesomeness will require a more potent GPU to handle the
system, so be wise.
So I guess you'd have to test on your own machine and other target systems to find numbers that work and whether the performance is acceptable for your game.

If it's not good enough then I that's where the "modify" part comes in, and for $1.99 it seems like great value just as a learning resource as you'll get to see the code and can learn from it and optimize yourself.