• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX Please help! Struggling to download Gamemaker Studio 2 onto my Mac!

Username51

Hi! I'm brand new here and I really need some assistance. I downloaded Gamemaker studio 2 onto my MacBook Pro computer, but every time I try to open it, it loads a few things and then says

Unable to access the Runtime Feed and no local Runtime is installed. Please
check your internet connection and start Gamemaker Studio 2 again.

I am connected to my internet as far as I can tell, and everything else seems to be working fine. I read on one of the FAQs that I needed to also install MonoFramework 6 or something like that. I did but it didn't change anything. I have also restarted my computer with no results.

I would really appreciate some advice or guidance or any kind of direction. I have been watching some of gamemakers tutorials and I would really love to start creating here. Thank you for your time, I hope someone finds this and can get back to me :)

Username51

Thank you so much, sir!

It says to get a runtime that is the same version as the Gamemaker version I downloaded. How do I know exactly what version I downloaded? I really appreciate this, thank you!

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Check the release notes to find out the matching runtime version:

If you meant to check which version of GMS 2 you're using, check the top-right corner of the IDE.

Username51

Success! Thank you for I am getting somewhere! I now have 'Archive Utility' in my tool bar and it is asking me for password for "fnames"? I am not sure what this is. Forgive me if I am not seeing anything that may be just in front of my nose and thank you many more times ☺

Last edited:

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Are you trying to unzip the runtime? You're not supposed to open the file. Instructions for what to do with it are included in the article linked by @rwkay.

Username51

Yes, you're right, I was trying to unzip the runtime. I knew I wasn't supposed to, but I didn't know that that's what unzipping it meant.

Username51

Alrighty. I am still a bit unclear but I will continue to read around for answers. Thank you very much for your help, I am closer towards getting this to work than I was before. I hope you're having a lovely day! (or night).
ps: I love your pfp

rIKmAN

Alrighty. I am still a bit unclear but I will continue to read around for answers.
You don't need to read around, the instructions are all in the link that Tsuka posted above:
Move the downloaded file - still zipped - to the runtime downloads directory - by default this located at:

%programdata%\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.3.7.474\download on Windows
/Users/Shared/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes/runtime-2.3.7.474/download on Mac

Please note that you may need to create the download directory yourself, and you will need to restart GameMaker Studio 2 for the changes to take effect.
Those paths are for runtime 2.3.7.474 so the numbers in the path will change depending on what runtime you want to download.

All you need to do is go here, select a version and then follow the instructions on the page.