GameMaker [Please Help] Object Persistence Issues and Overlap Issues

M

monkeyfrommars

Hello! I'm fairly new to programming so try to bear with me I'm still learning... and yet I'm the lead programmer of a project in which we have to create an entire video game from scratch... needless to say I need some help. So the game is a top down, pixel rpg, and I have the player object on top of all the other in-game objects. Persistence is on, which worked well enough until I realized I needed to have some things on top of the player, but I can't figure out how to control what layer a persistent object is created in. I looked it up but all I found was another thread that had the same problem and no answer. On top of that, I realized that since I based all my sprites off of pokemon, I need to make it to where if the player walks behind like a tree, then the tree covers up the player, but if the player walks in front of the tree, then the player is on top of the tree. I MacGyver'd it by making half of the sprite on top of the player layer and the other half below, but this doesn't work with smaller sprites like npc's. There's probably an explanation in the manual and I do plan on reading it but I'm on a HUGE time crunch. Please help, even if all you do is point to the page(s) in the manual where it explains what I need to figure it out. Also I'm sorry for the probably unnecessarily long post... I tend to ramble...