• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

please help me. D3D_end problem

H

Haidonesque

Hi. I'm having a huge issue with my project. It's an fps using an older method of 3D (d3d and sprites as objects, doom like) and I'm trying to add a credits sequence into my game, which worked fine, however now when I enter the 2D credits sequence from one of the 3D rooms, the text is unreadable for some reason, as if the resolution is messed up. I used d3d_end and it still does this.

any help would be greatly appreciated as I really need to finish this game before a deadline. I feel like It might be some function I'm missing that I just don't know about.

T

Thunder Lion

that's exactly what I'm doing. sorry if it wasn't clear. I'm going from a 3D room to a 2D one.
Perhaps there are assets that require 3D to be on at all times and those assists may be going over to the next room, perhaps a "control object" or data holder?
This is usually the cause of a lot of my errors for not disabling the code which desires to run constantly even if the appropriate conditions aren't being met

H

Haidonesque

Have you not created a HUD for your game yet? It's literally the exact same concept, just different elements being drawn.
yes, but recreating the credits sequence using that method would be tedious for me. I wanted it to look a certain way with the credits fading in and out. I just want it to be able to go to the credits room without the resolution getting messed up. there has to be a simple fix for this.

T

Thunder Lion

Perhaps there are assets that require 3D to be on at all times and those assists may be going over to the next room, perhaps a "control object" or data holder?
yes, but recreating the credits sequence using that method would be tedious for me. I wanted it to look a certain way with the credits fading in and out. I just want it to be able to go to the credits room without the resolution getting messed up. there has to be a simple fix for this.
can we see your code?

H

Haidonesque

I'm sorry if I'm not being specific enough or if I'm being difficult, I'm not used to asking for help on these forums

L

Lonewolff

If your objects were designed to be in normal screen space, then placing them in the draw_gui event should be fine.

Give it a try :)

H

Haidonesque

can we see your code?
it's really basic dnd code that just says to go to another room (rm_credits) and the only actual code is a small line that says "d3d_end."
the credits room is 1600 x 900 (the resolution of my monitor) the room looks fine if I boot the game up into that room but if I kill the last boss and the game goes to the credits the text looks garbled and unreadble as if the resolution is off. I feel like I'm just being stupid and missing something simple here.

H

Haidonesque

I think the important thing to point out is this game is built off of an old doom template made for gm8 (I can't even find who made it originally) and while I understand how alot of it works just from tinkering, there are certain things that make no sense to me and I feel like this is why I'm having a hard time explaining my issue. I probably shouldn't even be making something like this at my skill level but I just really wanted to make an fps game

T

Thunder Lion

I think the important thing to point out is this game is built off of an old doom template made for gm8 (I can't even find who made it originally) and while I understand how alot of it works just from tinkering, there are certain things that make no sense to me and I feel like this is why I'm having a hard time explaining my issue. I probably shouldn't even be making something like this at my skill level but I just really wanted to make an fps game
Is d3d_end done prior to going to the new room?

I don't understand the issue. Using either the Draw GUI event or an ortho projection, the resolution is still in your hands.

H

Haidonesque

I don't understand the issue. Using either the Draw GUI event or an ortho projection, the resolution is still in your hands.
I've never used those functions before because I'm used to doing things differently in older versions of game maker. I don't understand how to take the objects I already have for the credits sequence and make them use those functions. sorry if I'm too stupid to understand, but what I'm trying to do is so basic and I don't understand why it's giving me issues. I should be able to go from a 3d room to a 2d one without issues as long as I use the d3d_end code right? I just wanted a simple answer as to why the resolution is getting messed up in the transition.

H

Haidonesque

Can you pm me the game project?
I really don't want to reveal the game until it's done also it's insanely unorganized and you won't be able to navigate it and will probably ask what the h is wrong with me

I'm starting to think that I'm just gonna have to figure out a workaround because I don't think this is going anywhere.

T

Thunder Lion

I understand, I was hoping to get an idea of what was happening maybe some code screenshots? I want to see the d and d

T

Thunder Lion

Firstly I think you are evil for using imgur, I literally wasted this whole time scrolling, lol

I have one question, how does the credits look if you play it straight out before any 3D stuff, does it look normal, I assume it does, but I really would love to see what you had made directly.

H

Haidonesque

Firstly I think you are evil for using imgur, I literally wasted this whole time scrolling, lol
heh sorry about that, I guess I should have used google drive or something

I'm just gonna send you the project in a pm.