• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Please guess these icons

Bingdom

Googledom
Hello, currently I've been working on my game and i have made this icons that represent the stats of a troop. I'm just wondering the amount of people would be able to guess it correctly. Don't worry if you got the wrong answer, i'm just seeing if i need to provide a tutorial about reading them or not ;). I will provide 3 images that will have a description about the troop, the numerical information about each individual stat(with a bar), and the name which should all help you give a better guess what those circled icons mean. The basic concept about this game is that there is 2 groups of these troops (with 25 selectable troops), and they battle it out on either side.

upload_2016-9-1_17-19-36.png
upload_2016-9-1_17-20-31.png
upload_2016-9-1_17-28-44.png

An example of taking a guess. (THIS MAY OR MAY NOT BE THE CORRECT ANSWER, JUST AN EXAMPLE!) ;)
1) Heart
2) Shield
3) Sword
4) Target
5) Boots
6) Spinning thing

Thanks for reading and guessing! :D

Roderick

1) Health
2) Armor / Defense
3) Attack Strength
4) Accuracy
5) Movement Speed
6) Reload Time

Assuming I'm correct, I'd recommend altering the Accuracy one to more obviously be a target (either a few black dots to represent bullet holes near the bullseye, or an arrow stuck in the bullseye).
I'd also recommend changing the Reload Time one, though I don't know how. It just feels awkward to me.

Bingdom

Googledom
Thank you to everyone who has helped. I think i got enough answers to finalize my result.
In case if you're still interested, here are the answers
1) Health
2) Armour
3) Melee / Ranged Damage
4) Range
5) Speed
6) Reload Time

The range will make more sense when you play the game, its the distance (in pixels) of how far away it can shoot at the target. ;)

Last edited:

Roderick

After rereading the descriptions on the units, and comparing them to the numbers, I'd like to revise my guesses - the target is probably supposed to be Range.

But if that's the case, I would never have guessed it. Not sure what to suggest as a replacement if this is the case.

Edit: Ninja'd by OP!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Health, armor, attack power, accuracy, movement speed, reload speed. The background color hurts my eyes and nobody will take you seriously if you use Comic Sans for your interface.

Bingdom

Googledom
Health, armor, attack power, accuracy, movement speed, reload speed. The background color hurts my eyes and nobody will take you seriously if you use Comic Sans for your interface.
Thanks for your feedback, do you have any recommendations for a different font? The game's theme is pixel ;).

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I really like one called 16bfZX, which is open-domain. @NAL's Notalot25 and Notalot35 are also pretty neat for retro stuff.

Khao

Without putting literally any thought behind it or seeing other people's responses:

Heart = Health
Shield = Defense
Sword = Attack
Target = Accuracy
Boots = Speed
Spinning thing = I have no freaking idea

A

AnonyMouse

I was about to post the same thread before but decided what is - that is :p Interface's problems are serious :eek: But the good thing is that the player could easy remember whatever, but somewhere must be described.

Heart: health
Shield: defense power
Sword: attack power
Target: obviously it's range but this one might be a tad confusing for a few people who'll think it's accuracy
Boots: movement speed.
Green arrow: I'd say something to do with reload time, but you might want to use rate of fire instead. It's weird that your melee unit has no rate of fire/reload time.

Zerb Games

True dat, stay away from Comic Sans... Also no highly saturated colors unless they are intended to stand out. Think that should be a general guide line.

Bingdom

Googledom
Thanks for the feedback, about the menus, the game itself is pretty bright and i never thought the menus will be a problem. Here is a couple more screenshots of my game (I know i haven't changed the font, still deciding).
upload_2016-9-5_21-40-31.png
upload_2016-9-5_21-42-52.pngupload_2016-9-5_21-44-54.pngupload_2016-9-5_21-46-13.png

What do you think? Does it suit the gameplay? :D

EDIT:
Why do so many people hate Comic Sans? Is it because of the fanbase from Undertale? I've discovered and used it before much before when Undertale came out :)

Last edited:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
What do you think? Does it suit the gameplay? :D
Hard to tell since most of the stuff aren't gameplay footage. I cringe at how you combine vastly different pixel sizes in the same image like this. It feels like every single thing has a different pixel size, and stuff simply don't fit together at all... definitely isn't retro. I can accept units being small if the game is about massive campaigns with hundreds of soldiers on each side, but buildings should use the same pixel size as the humans. I'm more chill with text and menu stuff not fitting in, but they're still blatantly irregular. And those intense colors everywhere feels like eyestrain waiting to happen...

P

ParodyKnaveBob

1) HP max
2) defensive power (against incoming damage)
3) offensive power (damage dealt to others)
4) accuracy oh, range, after looking at all three units
5) speed
6) reload time, probably reload cooldown time (the smaller the better) even though that's counter to the scale used by the other icons (according to my guesses)

Now I'll go read the rest of the thread. $:^ J

Bingdom

Googledom
Hard to tell since most of the stuff aren't gameplay footage. I cringe at how you combine vastly different pixel sizes in the same image like this. It feels like every single thing has a different pixel size, and stuff simply don't fit together at all... definitely isn't retro. I can accept units being small if the game is about massive campaigns with hundreds of soldiers on each side, but buildings should use the same pixel size as the humans. I'm more chill with text and menu stuff not fitting in, but they're still blatantly irregular. And those intense colors everywhere feels like eyestrain waiting to happen...
Thanks for your feedback, the third picture pretty much shows everything about the gameplay. The others are just GUI, or a home screen.

This is just my first game ever released on Google play, but i always accept feedback. For now on, ill try to remind myself to make everything to stick to roughly the same pixel size. I thought in some areas that different pixel sizes can be accepted.

Im not a great artist, if i made the buildings more detailed, they could've ended up being worse, lol.

I had no idea that my game would be so eye straining, i thought those menus where great. Should i try adding more noise or darken the colours?, i tried to make my game bright and likable.