• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Please focus more on your code editor!

Carbon

I can't stress this enough. There's so many people coming off from traditional programming languages using GameMaker, and yet you still ignore them?

GameMaker's code editor is a JOKE compared to today's standard for code editor/IDE.

Please focus on adding more features on the IDE. At least please have the auto complete ability on the same degree that Visual Studio has.

It comes to me quite surprisingly that you guys did all those awesome stuff on the room editor, sprite editor, etc yet you all forget the one crucial thing: the IDE.

Honestly, me personally, I can't switch to another engine right now because I'm in the middle of a commercial project. But I'm definitely considering to do so, just for the sake of being able to code MUCH more effectively and quicker on other engines like C# on Unity and C++ on Unreal. Both using the godly IDE that everybody loves, Visual Studio. So if you ignore this, (and this is 2016 already btw, many years after your last bad IDE) you risk of losing so many people/customers that rely heavily on the technical/programming stuff.

If you want GM to be the tool many professionals actually use, you really need to revamp your code editor.

Don't get me wrong, I love GM, I really do, I just cannot stand the stinky bottom putty IDE that it offers. Your next iteration of GM is released on 2016, yet it has few improvements compared to the last iteration that was released a couple of years back? Come on..

So the real question is: If I hate GM's code editor so bad, why don't I switch to other engines out there?

Answer: I find switching to them necessary. I consider myself a professional in this, and this is one of my sources of real income. Switching would take months just to learn those program and their workflows, etc. Not going to be worth the time especially if I'm just doing fine with GM. However, seeing that no improvements over this on the latest version of GM makes me insane. I'm basically just giving GM another chance to see if it's actually going to revamp its code editor, but it hasn't, (I hope it will, not far from now) so I'm just going to finish my current project in GM and pack my things and leave.

To any officials reading this, I'm begging you all to consider this seriously.

Last edited:
N

NPT

This is a Beta program.

If you want to be taken seriously then actually list the specific features you want. The only actual suggestion you made is: At least please have the auto complete ability on the same degree that Visual Studio has.

csanyk

You don't seem to recognize that "IDE" is not synoymous with "code editor". IDE is the entire environment, which includes the sprite, image, room, object, etc. editors, as well as the code editor, plus integration with the various compilers to the various build targets... It's apparent that YYG has put a lot of work into improving the IDE. The code editor included. It may not yet be on par with Visual Studio in all respects, but it's not like they've done nothing to improve the code editor, either. As it stands right now, I find the code editor to be pretty good. Always room for improvements, though.

csanyk

From the looks of it, to bring GM's code editor up to par with Visual Studio's...
Since it's an "industry standard" for a lot of people, I'd like to go on the record and say that I think Visual Studio is a bloaty pile of awfulness. From a usability standpoint, it is packed with features... that are hard to learn. So many controls, confronting the novice user all at once, to the point where you don't know where to start. Like the cockpit of an Apollo crew module.

Microsoft's philosophy wasn't to develop the best IDE, it was to give everyone who said "I won't use VS until it has my pet feature" no excuses not to use VS. They took every other idea there is, and mashed it all together, so that no matter who you are, it has what you want in it. But it also has everything else everyone else wants in it. And it doesn't care if you figure out what parts of it you really need, or can really help you make better code. You have to become a pro in order to have any hope at being actually good in VS.

GMS excels at usability by keeping things simple and giving the developer what they need, without making it so complicated that you have to be a hard core computer programmer to be able to get anywhere with it. May they never lose sight of this, and yet deliver the power where we need it, making it usable, not cluttered and bloated.

Edit: This is not intended to be such a slam at VS as it sounded. I understand that VS is intended to be a total solution to any and all programming problems that a software developer might have in developing general-purpose software on Windows and it's related platforms, in any language. GameMaker is much narrower in scope, in that it is geared toward game development with the GM engine, in GML, and nothing more than that, and that it has a mission to be a useful tool for non-programmers who want to do game development, and for non-programmers who wish to learn programming fundamentals. The two serve vastly different markets.

It's not as though the GMS2 code editor is perfect; it can certainly stand a few additional features that it doesn't yet have, namely code-rollup. But it's definitely been improved beyond what was in GMS1.x, and I think YYG are moving in the right direction with this overall. Although, certainly, we do well to speak up about specific features we want and why we need them, and stuff that doesn't work or doesn't feel right.

Last edited:
H

Huder

Guys you can't drag and move highlighted text by mouse in code editor? Or this is some bug that i have? Because i don't see anyone saying this.

C

CedSharp

Since it's an "industry standard" for a lot of people, I'd like to go on the record and say that I think Visual Studio is a bloaty pile of awfulness. From a usability standpoint, it is packed with features... that are hard to learn. So many controls, confronting the novice user all at once, to the point where you don't know where to start. Like the cockpit of an Apollo crew module.

Microsoft's philosophy wasn't to develop the best IDE, it was to give everyone who said "I won't use VS until it has my pet feature" no excuses not to use VS. The took every other idea there is, and mashed it all together, so that no matter who you are, it has what you want in it. But it also has everything else everyone else wants in it. And it doesn't care if you figure out what parts of it you really need, or can really help you make better code. You have to become a pro in order to have any hope at being actually good in VS.

GMS excels at usability by keeping things simple and giving the developer what they need, without making it so complicated that you have to be a hard core computer programmer to be able to get anywhere with it. May they never lose sight of this, and yet deliver the power where we need it, making it usable, not cluttered and bloated.
I agree with csanyk. One of the things GameMaker does best is having a feature-packed IDE being so easy to use and understand. Intellisense is something that has been upgraded already, it detects variables now, and in a near future we will see docs inside the intellisense, either by a yoyogame update, either by the addition of plugins ( which I hope won't take too long to be added... )

Another good feature i wish to see is some sort of code folding, and preferably with custom regions.
Otherwise, anything else would be too specific to personal tastes and would help some but hinder others.

Guys you can't drag and move highlighted text by mouse in code editor? Or this is some bug that i have? Because i don't see anyone saying this.
Why would you drag the text? You can select it, then cut it ( control + x, or right click then cut ) then paste it ( control + v, or right click then paste ).
It's faster, and when you're used to it, you don't even need to touch your mouse anymore.

I think that's the kind of feature that shouldn't be part of any code editor. ( that's my personal thought tho )

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Huder

This is something that has every text editor, and i was using it straight by 15 years by now.
It was in GMS1 so why not here?

C

CedSharp

This is something that has every text editor, and i was using it straight by 15 years by now.
It was in GMS1 so why not here?
You can't do it in notepad....
You can't do it in Atom code editor... ( the one I use everyday )
You can't do it in Visual Studio Code...

So it's not every editor.
Also, those are modern and extremly powerful editors ( not notepad xD ), and they didn't include that feature...
It makes complete sense that GameMaker didn't add it too.

A text editor handles text... it's not a GUI interface, you're not supposed to be able to drag stuff.
The only mouse interaction you have should be moving the caret, selecting text and the right click context menu. that's it for the mouse.

M

mdbussen

Both using the godly IDE that everybody loves, Visual Studio.
As somebody who regularly works with software engineers, most of them hate Visual Studio! All the real L337 coders use Vim :p

csanyk

Why would you drag the text? You can select it, then cut it ( control + x, or right click then cut ) then paste it ( control + v, or right click then paste ).
It's faster, and when you're used to it, you don't even need to touch your mouse anymore.

I think that's the kind of feature that shouldn't be part of any code editor. ( that's my personal thought tho )
The text editor is presented through a GUI which rides on top of a system that assumes the presence of a pointer device (mouse) and has since 1995. Many applications that do text editing support mouse to highlight text, including drag and drop text selection to move it. I don't do it a whole lot because I'm a lot faster with keyboard shortcuts, but there's no reason mouse-equivalent actions shouldn't also be supported. If GMS2 doesn't do this, I'd think it should.

And really, differentiating between the code editor and the GUI wrapped around it is pretty hair-splitty, to the point of being pedantic. GMS overall clearly has a mouse-driven interface, at any rate.

Hyomoto

The new code editor is leaps and bounds above what GM:S had available. I realize there are some QoL stuff that other people like and enjoy, and there's always room for improvement, but it's hardly bad. I can hammer out code many times faster than I could with GM:S just because switching between objects and scripts is considerably faster. The workflow of GM2 is superior to GM:S in a severely impressive number of ways. I've used Unity and I'd say it isn't as simple or quick as GM2 in a lot of ways, not least of all when coding. You seriously think swapping to another engine would produce such gains in efficiency that it would somehow combat any perceived shortcomings of GML's code editor? I'll buy in and say, fine, maybe that's true. But you'd damn well have to demonstrate this inefficiency that somehow disappears when you are using Visual Studio. And for the record, last I checked you can use VS2015 as a code editor. A lot of people here seem to use other programs for writing code in GML. Hell, resident GML mega-user @YellowAfterlife put together a GML extension for Notepad++. You have options: not using them, ranting some suggestion that implies some vague thing that would totally make it better is completely useless. Not just because it wastes anyone's time who reads it, but because if you have a legitimate suggestion it's buried in garbage.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
okay....news flash. We're not remaking Visual Studio. Just like we're not remaking Photoshop in the sprite editor, we're not making VS in the code editor. We never had any intention of remaking VS, nor will we ever try. If you want to use VS, I'm pretty sure you can just download and use it.

We've added much better intellisense, all types of variables are now present so you can auto-complete them and they get colour coded. You can now "goto" enums and macros, and it's now fully tabbed, and you can drag tabs around the whole workspace or take them full screen. I find it slightly insulting that you think we've done "nothing". For someone who claims to love VS so much, but then say you can't swap to another workflow does make me wonder if you've ever used it. I'd have assumed if you love it so much, you'd also love it's workflow, otherwise what would be the point?

As someone who's grown up through a whole raft of text editor - from a simple on screen cursor, to basic text editors, from early VS's to the current version, and from early Game Maker to the current one, I'd say we're off to a good start. I believe it's miles better than previous versions, and it's not like we're done.

But GameMaker Studio 2 is a full IDE that covers lots of areas, and as such take lots of time and effort to create and manage. There are huge improvements in all departments, including the code editor and GML, and we have more to come. But if you're waiting on us turning the code editor into a VS clone, you're going to have a long wait.

sylvain_l

last time I used VS, I wasn't able to use D&D only to build my program. Seriously VS is a JOKE! How is it possible that a so called "pro solution" doesn't offer such a simple feature !
:p

If you can't work without VS, why don't you work with it and just make your extension to support GML as you wish it ? (.gml files are just txt file, .yy too (json format) it's not like they were encrypted ^^)

^^ IMHO GMS don't target pure developper like VS, but more game designer and other game maker people (indies, hobbyists). That's why editor isn't at top notch. Because one of the feature of GMS is to make game without coding ! Just using D&D.

Of course I wouldn't mind at all if YYG improve the code editor :)

Cpaz

You can't do it in notepad....
You can't do it in Atom code editor... ( the one I use everyday )
You can't do it in Visual Studio Code...

So it's not every editor.
Also, those are modern and extremely powerful editors ( not notepad xD ), and they didn't include that feature...
It makes complete sense that GameMaker didn't add it too.

A text editor handles text... it's not a GUI interface, you're not supposed to be able to drag stuff.
The only mouse interaction you have should be moving the caret, selecting text and the right click context menu. that's it for the mouse.
Notepad++? Either Way...

Moving a chunk of code by hand is actually convenient to me (emphasis on the 'me' and not 'everyone') Seeing as the functionality was there in GMS 1.4 I do think it's odd to change little things like that. Especially when they throw me off quite a bit.

EDIT:
okay....news flash. We're not remaking Visual Studio. Just like we're not remaking Photoshop in the sprite editor, we're not making VS in the code editor. We never had any intention of remaking VS, nor will we ever try. If you want to use VS, I'm pretty sure you can just download and use it.

But GameMaker Studio 2 is a full IDE that covers lots of areas, and as such take lots of time and effort to create and manage. There are huge improvements in all departments, including the code editor and GML, and we have more to come. But if you're waiting on us turning the code editor into a VS clone, you're going to have a long wait.
Fully agree! I myself am indifferent to many of the changes GMS2 has brought. But the benefits FAR outweigh those issues.
I'll also say that I'm glad that GMS has had that flexibility for some tools (some of course being mandatory, unless there's a handmade external editor) For example: The GMS sprite editor (not just any 1 version), has been 'ok' at best, 'mildly irritating' at worst. It's not something you have to use though! Because you can just import sprites made from other software. It's great! GMS2 has also fixed many issues with the sprite editor, while also introducing a few others. (granted, there's no such thing as "perfect" software)
I also appreciate how more of GM is able to be edited in external software. Especially now that event scripts are their own files with raw gml.
Either Way, my point being, Game Maker has been, and is continuing to be, a very flexible tool for a variety of developers. I do hope that Yoyo continues to embrace this. But I will also point out that topics like this to begin with, either need to be at least more respectful, or more organized to get their point across with more ease.

Last edited:

c023-DeV

okay....news flash. We're not remaking Visual Studio...
*Phew*
Glad to hear that. I quite like the code editor improvements, like editing vertical blocks of code by holding the ALT-Key... pretty useful stuff...
But what's happened to the search&replace? That seems to be global, how can I only search&replace the currently active codeblock/script ?

JaimitoEs

*Phew*
Glad to hear that. I quite like the code editor improvements, like editing vertical blocks of code by holding the ALT-Key... pretty useful stuff...
But what's happened to the search&replace?
That seems to be global, how can I only search&replace the currently active codeblock/script ?
And someone find the linked blocks graphics not very useful? Not talking about the organisation, just the graphics, It would be better not have this or have a diferent graphic to link blocks, we loose space between blocks, and zoom out is not a solution cause the blurry font. In general you loose visual Code on screen. But other features are good.

Carbon

Add the following

1. Option to auto complete brackets/parentheses
2. Pressing 'TAB' will move your cursor out of that bracket. Eg. "if (<cursor here>)" then 'TAB' is pressed, it becomes "if ()<cursor here>".
3. Auto indent after curly brackets/enter.
for (a; b; c) {<cursor here>}

press enter, it becomes

for (a; b; c) {
<tab><cursor here>
}

Also, no, I'm not being insulting. I might've forgotten to mention the things that you guys have done right, so it seemed like I was complaining like hell. But seriously, just please add the 3 things that I mentioned it will help everyone here coding a lot faster.

They might look simple, but those things accumulate into much bigger things when you have like tons of parentheses and scopes inside your code.

I'm pretty sure those are like kind of basic features today's code editor has, so it kind of struck me why GM still doesn't have them.

Also, please don't bring up the "GM is for novices, and everything should be noob friendly.". Whatever you say, you could've just add the options to go slightly more 'pro', and it will serve both the audiences really well.

Anyway, end of arguments. My bad for not being specific.

Thank you, I hope you guys actually add those. :D

Last edited:

Carbon

BTW lol, no one is asking to copy VS. Just try to stay on par with today's fav editor.
netbeans, codeblocks, eclipse, etc. VS is just one of them.

also, using external editor in GM is just out of option. you lose more functionality than you gain.

c023-DeV

Add the following

2. Pressing 'TAB' will move your cursor out of that bracket. Eg. "if (<cursor here>)" then 'TAB' is pressed, it becomes "if ()<cursor here>".

press enter, it becomes

for (a; b; c) {
<tab><cursor here>
}
Yiek* NO! NO! Or if, then only as extension or something. Things like that are annoying to me! - Like T9 autocomplete on mobile phones, gets me raging...

I agree on what @JaimitoEs said, the visual links do take up unnecessary space, and it's not like I'd see anyone dragging around their events to place them somewhere else. But I like the flow of it in general. But stuff like this should go into the survey system.

Same with the OP ... the built-in survey is a better place to give feedback than here.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
If there are enough folk interested in these options "perhaps", but number 2 is utterly bizarre and I've never seen that anywhere. However as it stands, we're not looking to add any of these.

All new features are based on the number of people actually interested in them, and that comes from surveys, social media etc. If only 1 or 2 folk want it, it's not worth our time adding.

csanyk

Add the following

press enter, it becomes

for (a; b; c) {
<tab><cursor here>
}
If there are enough folk interested in these options "perhaps", but number 2 is utterly bizarre and I've never seen that anywhere. However as it stands, we're not looking to add any of these.

All new features are based on the number of people actually interested in them, and that comes from surveys, social media etc. If only 1 or 2 folk want it, it's not worth our time adding.
I like auto-completing quotes/brackets/parentheses. But it gets annoying to open a bracket, have the close-bracket already there, but not have an easy way to move past the bracket when you are ready to close it, short of just typing it yourself anyway. So I take Carbon's suggestion 2 as the way to solve that. Of course, you could also press the End key, to move to the end of the current line in the editor, which would also put you outside the bracket pair. I think some people might find Tab more ingrained to muscle memory than End.

(Although, last I checked, the Home and End keys don't seem to do anything in the code editor, which is a shortcoming that needs to be rectified:

Home: Move cursor to beginning of line
End: Move cursor to end of line
CTRL+Home: Move cursor to beginning of file.
CTRL+End: Move cursor to end of file.
SHIFT+Home: Select text from current cursor position to beginning of line, and move cursor to beginning of line.
SHIFT+End: Select text from current cursor position to end of line, and move cursor to end of line.
CTRL+SHIFT+Home: Select text from current cursor position to beginning of file, and move cursor to beginning of file.
CTRL+SHIFT+End: Select text from current cursor position to end of file, and move cursor to end of file.
)

I don't like auto-indenting. I like to indent the way I like to indent. Different people have their preferred way of doing it, and that's fine. It's not something the editor should enforce. For simple if statements, I like to have everything on a single line:

Code:
if condition {do_one_action();}
for anything more complicated than that, I like to use multiple lines:

Code:
if condition
{
   do_several_actions();
}
else
{
   do_other_stuff();
}
I used to like

Code:
if condition {
   do_stuff();
}
But I changed my mind when I realized that being able to visually line up bracket pairs was more important to me than saving a line of vertical whitespace so I could fit more code in the window.

But I respect that everyone has their own preferences in this regard. I don't want the IDE to force me to conform to their way of doing it.

Last edited:

Llama_Code

As someobe that used to be forced to use VS every day, I can attest it's a steaming pile of bloat that I wish to never touch again.

VS is not the industry standard because it's the best, and most people hate it. But it's cheap and can do just about anything, even if 90% of it is unneeded. I appreciate GMS focus on the task at hand. It's a game engine not a “do everything that happens to specialize in games engine“.

Is the code editor perfect? No, but it's an amazing start and will only get better. I learned to code without all these fancy features.

And really, I think everyone needs to get off the this program does this so GM should to wagon. If you want a feature suggest it and build the interest. The program is made by people who have coded for most of their lives so I think they know what they are doing, and for the most part what other professionals might want, granted they can't think of everything.

C

CedSharp

I like auto-completing quotes/brackets/parentheses. But it gets annoying to open a bracket, have the close-bracket already there, but not have an easy way to move past the bracket when you are ready to close it, short of just typing it yourself anyway. So I take Carbon's suggestion 2 as the way to solve that. Of course, you could also press the End key, to move to the end of the current line in the editor, which would also put you outside the bracket pair. I think some people might find Tab more ingrained to muscle memory than End.

(Although, last I checked, the Home and End keys don't seem to do anything in the code editor, which is a shortcoming that needs to be rectified:

Home: Move cursor to beginning of line
End: Move cursor to end of line
CTRL+Home: Move cursor to beginning of file.
CTRL+End: Move cursor to end of file.
SHIFT+Home: Select text from current cursor position to beginning of line, and move cursor to beginning of line.
SHIFT+End: Select text from current cursor position to end of line, and move cursor to end of line.
CTRL+SHIFT+Home: Select text from current cursor position to beginning of file, and move cursor to beginning of file.
CTRL+SHIFT+End: Select text from current cursor position to end of file, and move cursor to end of file.
)

I don't like auto-indenting. I like to indent the way I like to indent. Different people have their preferred way of doing it, and that's fine. It's not something the editor should enforce. For simple if statements, I like to have everything on a single line:

Code:
if condition {do_one_action();}
for anything more complicated than that, I like to use multiple lines:

Code:
if condition
{
   do_several_actions();
}
else
{
   do_other_stuff();
}
I used to like

Code:
if condition {
   do_stuff();
}
But I changed my mind when I realized that being able to visually line up bracket pairs was more important to me than saving a line of vertical whitespace so I could fit more code in the window.

But I respect that everyone has their own preferences in this regard. I don't want the IDE to force me to conform to their way of doing it.
Usually, when you have auto-indenting, you have a way to control it. It has to follow some kind of settings. If you don't like it, then... disable it? :D
The bracket alignment trick, I used to do the same as you, that is to have a bracket on the next line of whatever you're doing.

But since most editors have indentation guides I stopped using that and stick to the 'brace on same line' style now :)
That's something I'd like to see in GameMaker: Indent Guides. That and fold areas haha ( I said that too much, but I really want it ;) )

C

Carl

Well of course no one expects a VS clone, and neither did I in my thread (https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...ions-for-resource-handling-code-editor.12111/).
The code editor is a lot better than earlier versions, and that's especially noticeable the times I quickly prototype tools in GM8. :cool: What's being suggested here afaik are just a few ways of reducing time spent on pressing keys, which I for one welcome if the fix feels comfy (which is a big "if", seeing how people have different preferences). Generally, when the code editor (or other parts of the IDE for that matter) repeatedly forces you to pause your thought process (or flow) to press the same keys or initiate some mundane functionality which could be automated, kittens start dying. :oops: Just; less clunk, more grease. :)

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Click on the maximise gadget beside the close button. There is also a few preferences to open up code in full screen workspaces.

Carbon

but number 2 is utterly bizarre and I've never seen that anywhere.
You've never seen them anywhere? Sorry? What is your background bro?

Not everyone that actually wants them has the intention to actually put time to post here and try to ask you guys for those features to be implemented, only to get rejected by some wild ass hypocrite officials on the forum.

Also, how do you actually find something to be "a lot of people's favor"?
I'm probably the 3rd guy that actually asks this exact feature already (those 3 that I listed) on this forum. Do you need like, what, 10 people posting the same thread in the forum to regard it as "something that a lot of people want"?

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
You've never seen them anywhere? Sorry? What is your background bro?
I've never seen Number 2 anywhere. if I press tab, I don't expect it to jump out of the brackets.
Whats MY background? Google me :)

Not everyone that actually wants them has the intention to actually put time to post here and try to ask you guys for those features to be implemented, only to get rejected by some wild ass hypocrite officials on the forum.
I'm probably the 3rd guy that actually asks this exact feature already (those 3 that I listed) on this forum. Do you need like, what, 10 people posting the same thread in the forum to regard it as "something that a lot of people want"?
This is kind of the point. if only a few ask for it, then it's not worth the time and effort doing it. If we get inundated with requests about it, as we have for lots of things - zooming without pressing CTRL was one, image editor colour swap and non-contiguous selection was another. All of these have gone in. But a few guys asking for it, doesn't warrant the dev time to do it. It's a harsh truth and ALL features have to be popular ones (at least just now), otherwise why do a feature 3 people want, when we could do one that 1000 want? The only way something a very small minority want usually gets in, is if it's a 2 minute job, then someone might "sneak" it in. We don't have infinite resources, so if you want a feature, you have to drum up significant support for it.

As someobe that used to be forced to use VS every day, I can attest it's a steaming pile of bloat that I wish to never touch again.
And really, I think everyone needs to get off the this program does this so GM should to wagon. If you want a feature suggest it and build the interest. The program is made by people who have coded for most of their lives so I think they know what they are doing, and for the most part what other professionals might want, granted they can't think of everything.
There are plenty of professionals who don't know what they're doing. :p
Not that YoYo's guys are like that. Just saying that "they've done it for a long time" doesn't necessarily mean someone is going to excel at something. There's a reason old game companies go bankrupt.

Cpaz

There are plenty of professionals who don't know what they're doing. :p
Not that YoYo's guys are like that. Just saying that "they've done it for a long time" doesn't necessarily mean someone is going to excel at something. There's a reason old game companies go bankrupt.
I think there's a difference between doing something well vs doing something efficiently. That's probably why older companies go out of business.
(They can also hire bad designers overtime which can kill projects. Enough bad project = more money wasted. The rest is obvious.)

Tsa05

Is there going to be an option to use external code editors, like in Old GM versions? I never used the thing, but it was a handy way to quickly hose down the "code editor ought to do everything that my fav editor already does" users...

Humorous tangent, my google is broken--Get Peter Moore out of there!

csanyk

I've seen Lithium-powered discussion boards on CRM sites that handle this pretty nicely, but allowing people to upvote and downvote suggestions in a forum. It's still ultimately up to the vendor/maintainer to determine where to focus their efforts, but having good quality, trackable feedback from actual customers does a lot to guide that focus in the best direction.

DesArts

The only small issue I have with the code editor is the text selection it's self, it always 'floors' which side of a letter you click on. ...Which doesn't sound like much but a native windows text editor will always put the cursor to the closest side of a letter you click on ("rounds"), so it's very hard to adapt to.

C

CedSharp

The only small issue I have with the code editor is the text selection it's self, it always 'floors' which side of a letter you click on. ...Which doesn't sound like much but a native windows text editor will always put the cursor to the closest side of a letter you click on ("rounds"), so it's very hard to adapt to.
Is that so? I never click "on" a letter but "between" two letters for selection, so I didn't even notice that :O