Please Don't Strike My Wall! - A competitive multiplayer platforming tennis fighter... something.

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by Khao, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Khao

Khao Member

Hello, this is a game.

It's a 2-4 Player Game where the main objective is to drain the healthbar of the opposite team! Similar in concept to Pong and other Tennis games, but plays more like a platform fighter, with different characters with unique special abilities!

To damage the wall you shoot magical bullets. To protect your wall, you strike those bullets to deflect them back. It's simple!

...But it doesn't stop there! Most of the gameplay revolves around the use of an Energy Meter. If you collect Energy Orbs scattered around the field, you gain access to Special Abilities unique to your character. These usually allow you to reach faraway shots that would otherwise be impossible to strike, either by giving you a movement boost, or by hitting them with a long-range move. These abilities are absolutely vital. Shooting bullets also costs energy, so use your energy wisely, or you'll be bombarded with bullets that are impossible to deal with!

Every character also has a unique Ultimate Ability. These can be either defensive (to block bullets) or offensive (to create them). To use them, you have to fill out your Ultimate Meter by striking bullets. Each strike will fill your meter by a little bit!

That's the general idea. The game is fast-paced, and matches can get pretty hectic! Standard matches involve best-of-X rounds, but other modes, like a timed score match also exist. I'll probably post a demo sometime soon to get some proper feedback (after I make the game a bit more keyboard-friendly), but hopefully you can already comment on what you see!

All graphics are semi-placeholders by the way. It's more or less the style I'm aiming towards, trying to make it look somewhat like the typical modern cartoon. But animations are very unpolished, and were made mostly to test systems and to experiment a bit with potential stylistic choices while staying decently consistent.

2. IGameArt

IGameArt Member

THis is a very unique and refreshing idea. I think there's a lot of potential here, I'd love to see what art style you settle on, but this is a great start.

Khao likes this.
  3. Khao

Khao Member

Thanks! I'm already leaning towards a style that's close to a modern cartoon. If someone ever compares the game's visuals to Adventure Time or something along those lines, I did my job well, haha. Buuuut there's still a long way to go before the comparison can actually be made.

I'll actually have a couple of people join the development soon. We've already been sharing ideas for a long time, but we're gonna work together as a team. I'm very optimistic about it! I know from other game projects that we have a pretty good dynamic.

Siolfor the Jackal likes this.