1. Hey! Guest! The 34th GMC Jam will take place between August 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Thursday noon) and August 26th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Please Don't Strike My Wall! - A competitive multiplayer platforming tennis fighter... something.

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by Khao, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Khao

Khao Member

Please Don't Strike My Wall!

this is a game

It's a 2-4 Player Game where the main objective is to drain the healthbar of the opposite team's wall while protecting your own from incoming shots! Similar in concept to Pong and other Tennis games, but plays more like a platform fighter, with different characters having totally unique movesets!

To damage the wall you shoot magical bullets. To protect your wall, you strike those bullets to deflect them back. It's simple, but it doesn't stop there! Scattered around the stage are several energy pick-ups you can use to fill out your energy meter, allowing you to access a whole bunch of abilities, unique to each character!

These are the four basic types of abilities:

-Strike:
    [​IMG]
    Performed with the X button. This is the most basic of abilities, used to physically hit nearby bullets to throw them back in the opposite direction.​

-Spell Shot:
    [​IMG]
    Performed with the Y button. If you have enough energy, you'll shoot a new bullet. Shooting usually leaves you unable to move for a moment or two, so time your shots carefully! Every character has shots with different properties too, such as a charged shot, a shot that gains speed over time, or a shot that becomes stronger the more it's been hit!​

-Special:
    [​IMG]
    Performed with the B button. The signature move of each character! These abilities also cost energy, but are absolutely vital to be able to deflect the shots that are too fast, or too far away to be struck! Most of these abilities are designed to enhance mobility, but some also let you hit shots from a distance without having to get close!​

-Ultimate:
    [​IMG]
    Performed with the RT button. In addition to the energy meter, you'll also fill up an Ultimate Meter by striking shots and successfully using your special move. Once the meter is full, you can use a single ability that offers a completely unique advantage for the character that used it. Some characters can use this ability to summon some extremely powerful shots, while others have more defensive maneuvers that can block shots all over the screen. Every character offers something completely different!
    also jump with A btw

That's the general idea. The game is fast-paced, and matches can get pretty hectic! Standard matches involve best-of-X rounds, but other modes, like a timed score match also exist. The character in the video and in the examples is the most polished one so far, but there's already four characters that are fully functional, just need to have a more defined design, visually speaking.

Speaking of visuals, most graphics are semi-placeholders. The background is more or less set in stone, but character animations are very unpolished, and will most definitely be re-made sometime soon. We already settled on frame-by-frame animation though, and once character design is finalized, we're gonna work hard to make sure every character moves beautifully! But hopefully, what you see is enough to get a little bit of feedback for now! I always welcome any kind of criticism if it can help me improve.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  2. IGameArt

IGameArt Member

THis is a very unique and refreshing idea. I think there's a lot of potential here, I'd love to see what art style you settle on, but this is a great start.

Khao likes this.
  3. Khao

Khao Member

Thanks! I'm already leaning towards a style that's close to a modern cartoon. If someone ever compares the game's visuals to Adventure Time or something along those lines, I did my job well, haha. Buuuut there's still a long way to go before the comparison can actually be made.

I'll actually have a couple of people join the development soon. We've already been sharing ideas for a long time, but we're gonna work together as a team. I'm very optimistic about it! I know from other game projects that we have a pretty good dynamic.

Siolfor the Jackal likes this.
  4. Khao

Khao Member

Haven't exactly been very active so far, but the game is making some real progress! Here's a full match in the latest version:

As you can see, we got some proper backgrounds now, as well as music and sound effects, among other things! There hasn't been a lot of progress from the animation side of things, and that's because we're still finalizing character design. There's another three characters that are already perfectly functional, but they're not exactly pretty to look at. But that'll probably change soon!

5. cidwel

cidwel Member

It really looks fun to play!

Really cool to take a classic idea and reinvent it to a very different one!

Khao likes this.
  6. Siolfor the Jackal

Siolfor the Jackal Member

Damn, dude. This looks rad!

Khao likes this.
  7. Deadly Serious Media

Deadly Serious Media Member

that looks hectic in a good way! I can see myself losing so much time to this game. :D

Khao likes this.
  8. Khao

Khao Member

Thanks! I'm looking forward to sharing some other stuff soon, especially the rest of the playable characters! Right now, every single ability from every character works in a completely unique manner, so I'd love to see what you guys think about it once we're ready to show them off.

9. Carloskhard

Carloskhard Member

Amazing visuals and effects.The gameplay feels great!
    I would recommend working on some background movement and also give some detail to the columns on the sides since they're less detailed than the rest of the sprites.