• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Please bring back the quick creation buttons for resources

R

Retrifix

Hey,
I really miss these buttons :(

There is more than enough space for buttons like that here:

So why leave it empty?

Thanks

R

Retrifix

But I want them at the top so that I don't have to search for an empty spot on my workspace or right click anywhere and then search for the right item.
I want a small button with an icon that immediately creates a new object, sprite or whatever.

Please

It's a big thing for me. I miss these buttons. They're not a big feature or anything but for me they would increase the comfort significantly.

R

Retrifix

I knooow, but I want it the old way. It's way better than having to search for the right thing

gnysek

I knooow, but I want it the old way. It's way better than having to search for the right thing
If two clicks is search for you, then you're really laaaaaaaaazy. I understand if creating new resource would require 5-6 steps now, but it doesn't.

But - you can still report it as suggestion through helpdesk, cause I'm not the one who decide here :) Try your luck :)

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
If two clicks is search for you, then you're really laaaaaaaaazy. I understand if creating new resource would require 5-6 steps now, but it doesn't.

But - you can still report it as suggestion through helpdesk, cause I'm not the one who decide here :) Try your luck :)
I had GMS1 and used it for 2 years... never used the top buttons to create resources once.. xP but that's me!

R

Retrifix

You can use shortcuts... it's faster ;)
What are the shortcuts? Where can I set them/Look them up?

It's just that I'm used to use the buttons at the top, and especially with the new UI I think they would be even more useful.
Of course I'm lazy, but when you're writing thousand lines of codes every day you want at least the creation of new assets to be a job you can do with both eyes closed

R

Retrifix

Those are the shortcuts. (The keys next to each thing)
oh missed that :D Thanks
Yea well that'll work for now...but I still want these buttons. I mean there is really enough space there and it's not too complicated to add

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I seriously doubt that this will ever happen. The new IDE is just not designed that way anymore...

R

Retrifix

What way?
There are already buttons for other functions at the top. Just add more buttons and assign whatever is assigned to the shortcuts to the according button

gnysek

IDE will allow plugins at some point, so you can add it then. But this won't happen in coming weeks sadly.

R

Retrifix

Small things like that are what I ask for for months now and what still keeps me from buying GM:S 2 :/
It still needs more polishing, but no they had to release it now.
It could've been so great

JeffJ

That's weird. I thought the whole reason for completely rewriting the IDE was, at least in huge part, due to it being much easier to accommodate any type of request, especially rather small UI changes/additions. This seems like it would be a very insignificant change, so if it's so easy and it doesn' bother anyone, why not?

GMWolf

aka fel666
Small things like that are what I ask for for months now and what still keeps me from buying GM:S 2
But, you have tried it, yes?
Because I do not miss those buttons one bit. I'm sure that when you get used to the UI, creating new resources will be much easier.
Especially if they start adding more resources: the bar could run out of space. (I'm thinking particle effects, etc)

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
@JeffJ - I don't think the problem is that it is hard - just we find/found them to be very ugly and dislike them so we are ideologically opposed to adding them in.

personally - never used them, found them ugly and they make the product look like a toy

Russell

Last edited:

Jobo

GMC Elder
Making it 'easier to accommodate any request' does not mean we will do what every user asks for individually. It means the dev environment isn't the "bottleneck" for new features.

JeffJ

@rwkay - Fair enough, but that is just aesthetics, which as you know are very subjective (hence the reason why you're also making GMS skinnable). If it's mostly a case of cosmetics, why not make it an option (which could be off by default)?

I would personally also prefer the option to have them there as I always have, but then I don't care much about aesthetics in things where my main focus is functionality (example; been using Windows 95 theme on all Windows versions up until 7 because it was way more compact, didn't care about the look).

At the end of the day, it isn't a big deal, but I think it's an interesting discussion if it isn't difficult to add - more choices are always good.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Actually every option we add like this adds to our qa complexity so we have to tread a fine line on things like this...

We usually get QA buy in first of all.

Russell

R

Retrifix

Thank you for at least answering my request,
Actually every option we add like this adds to our qa complexity so we have to tread a fine line on things like this...

We usually get QA buy in first of all.

Russell
What's so hard about assuring that a few buttons create the resource that they say they create?
This doesn't even need testing, the developer who adds these buttons would be sufficient as QA.
The system behind these buttons already exists. Just give the buttons the same function as the shortcuts for creating the asset have.
The only work you have to put into this feature are maybe designing the icons for the buttons, and there you can just use the GM:S icons with small changes