Players are skipping text.

N

NoFontNL

I have some objects in my room, obDrawText objects.
They are very important to inform the player how things work.
But for example my parents, are skipping (not reading) the notes and get stuck at a harder level, because of not reading the stuff. I don't want an average player to do this, how do I actually let the player read the notes?

Maximiliano

You could have a timer in that level and if a player takes longer than a certain amount of time you could show them a hint explaining those things again.

If it's something that they'll be using a lot then it might be worth the time to actually have a tutorial level that forces them to use the things they just learned.

woodsmoke

Display the information then when the player needs it ("the harder levels"?). All the information at the start is boring and makes the player have to remember everything.

A

Alessio

Try to make these accessible again through an option. Inexperience players might want to check them eventually. It's so bad when important infos can't be seen anymore after being skipped, even accidentally.

N

NoFontNL

Thank you all. I made a guide button. With a book as icon. The functionalities of all blocks are going to be accessible from there. One more question:
do you prefer sharp corners or rounded?

Maximiliano

It depends on the style of your game. If the blocks in your game have sharp corners it might fit in better with that style.

11clock

Textboxes are the worst way to explain things. Learn from games like Portal and Celeste, teach via level design and try to explain nothing but the pure controls.

This is by no means easy, but if you can do it right it is an extremely effective way to teach players how to play by letting them figure things out through clever level design.

Didjargo

Break the tutorial messages up into one action at a time, set up an obstacle right in front of said message that requires the player to perform the action detailed in the message to proceed. Have several more obstacles on the way to the next tutorial point that makes use of that learned action, including more difficult ones that lead to an optional bonus treasure.