• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Graphics Player/Hero - armor

M

Melles

Trying to make my first platform game.
I want my player/hero to be able to find different armor and weapons. But Im not sure how to design this.

It will be a lot of sprites if I need to do a completely new sprite for each armor.
I like the idea if I could do it with layers or in some other way.

If anyone have a good idea or link to a good guide for spirit layer I would appreciate it.
Maybe there are some good examples of it somewhere in the marketplace?

Niels

You can draw sprites for the armor and use the draw function to draw it on the player object.

M

Melles

You can draw sprites for the armor and use the draw function to draw it on the player object.
Lets say my Sprite for the Player - Walking is 4 frames
Then I need to match those with 4 frames of armor right.
So I need Player(armor) - Walking, also 4 frames. Then somehow add it to the player object?

Kezarus

Endless Game Maker
Lets say my Sprite for the Player - Walking is 4 frames
Then I need to match those with 4 frames of armor right.
So I need Player(armor) - Walking, also 4 frames. Then somehow add it to the player object?
Yes, if your char bounce up and down. In some cases you could only make a single sprite and that's it.

I'm not sure if GM2 uses Spine, but 1.4 uses it and it takes care of all this type of animation. But... you have to buy Spine.

If your char is kind of static, then some math and geometry should do. (x, y, lengthdir_x, lengthdir_y, point_direction). It's not that easy, but it's possible. You store on some structure the x/y of each piece and draws it each frame.

Well, good luck and have a good one! =]

Rob

If you want the player to have visible changes in armour then there's some work involved, depending on how many different pieces you want.

The way I do it is draw the player walking first then use those sprites as a template for drawing the different armour pieces.

Create a base for the different armour pieces like helmet/armour and then just copy the base images and use them to create the pieces you need.

If you have a 2-frame walk cycle and a 3-frame attack animation, that's possibly 5 different frames per armour piece that you'll need + more for any other animations.

You could just have 1 piece of armour for every type and colour it white then use the draw_sprite_ext and use different colours to shade the Sprite.

The sprites won't look very different apart from the colour of course, though!

M

Melles

Thanks a lot for you suggestions.
I Actually got Spine so I can play around with it. Not sure what way I will choose to solve this yet but at least now I have some ways to do it.

Kezarus

Endless Game Maker
If you have Spine, then you are half the way there. =]

I use slots to change character gear on the fly. It's superb to make animations too, very easy to do. Don't forget to always key rotation and position of all you char pieces at the start of your animation. There are good tutos for Spine/GM and Spine alone.

Have a good one!
Cheers!