• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Player Design - Opinions needed

N

nlolotte

Hello,

I need opinions on the attached sprites.

Please let me know which colour way you think would suit best (clothes, hair etc) as well as general sprite feedback. The game is a typical metroidvania rpg. The sprites are far from finished, this is just the basic outline before i shade and what not but I cant decide a decent colour scheme.

Thanks

Attachments

RangerX

I greatly prefer the red or black one. I also think having it red would distinguish it a little more. I don't know, I think about Alucard and tons of other main characters that already wear black you know. I little change might not hurt!
:)

N

nlolotte

I greatly prefer the red or black one. I also think having it red would distinguish it a little more. I don't know, I think about Alucard and tons of other main characters that already wear black you know. I little change might not hurt!
:)
Thank you, that's exactly what I was thinkning. Just don't want the character to look too much like the character from the recent lords of shadow castlevania!

G

Guest User

i think the blue + lighter colored hair looks nice personally.

G

Guest User

ohhh boy. fashion is...not my forte, sorry. i know nothing about all that.

i do think the blonde is a bit too fair, but that might just be because it's on a super bright background. kind of bleeds into the white/grey.

N

nlolotte

ohhh boy. fashion is...not my forte, sorry. i know nothing about all that.

i do think the blonde is a bit too fair, but that might just be because it's on a super bright background. kind of bleeds into the white/grey.
Ok Awesome, thanks man!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Blue and red looks the best IMO, the green one has some contrast issues that makes it look unappealing. It's generally good if the player character is the most visible thing on-screen, so I'd say pick whichever of the red and blue that contrasts the most with the environs in your game (both works if the game is mostly dark, but the blue might be unsuitable if the game is all about the ocean etc).

(also side note, the blue palette looks like officer attire from the swedish 1500s-1700s-something-era soldiers, so if you'd like a nordic setting instead of the overused middle-europe setting, you might wanna go with that; you could canonically use norwegian and finnish lore as well because they were part of sweden in those days)

Style looks good, no complaints there :)

As a general pointer, try to make the legs (from the pelvis down) look good when they fully overlap, because that's one of the keyframes in most walking animations (fully split and fully overlapping is enough for a walking animation if it just looks right, actually, and for a normal 8-frame walking animation you will have major overlap in at least 3 frames). Having both shoes face the same way is a good idea for a walking frame, but a stand animation often looks more natural if they're facing opposite ways or the foot nearest the camera is facing it instead of facing right.

N

nlolotte

Blue and red looks the best IMO, the green one has some contrast issues that makes it look unappealing. It's generally good if the player character is the most visible thing on-screen, so I'd say pick whichever of the red and blue that contrasts the most with the environs in your game (both works if the game is mostly dark, but the blue might be unsuitable if the game is all about the ocean etc).

(also side note, the blue palette looks like officer attire from the swedish 1500s-1700s-something-era soldiers, so if you'd like a nordic setting instead of the overused middle-europe setting, you might wanna go with that; you could canonically use norwegian and finnish lore as well because they were part of sweden in those days)

Style looks good, no complaints there :)

As a general pointer, try to make the legs (from the pelvis down) look good when they fully overlap, because that's one of the keyframes in most walking animations (fully split and fully overlapping is enough for a walking animation if it just looks right, actually, and for a normal 8-frame walking animation you will have major overlap in at least 3 frames). Having both shoes face the same way is a good idea for a walking frame, but a stand animation often looks more natural if they're facing opposite ways or the foot nearest the camera is facing it instead of facing right.
Thanks Yal that's some really valuable information, the sprite is a mock up so I'm going to play arround with the blue and fox the sprite up a little. Again thank you, I think you've just given me the story for my game.

EDIT: Just read up Scandinavian lore and mythology and you have given me the perfect setting and theme. Also the outfit is a perfect match thanks so much

Reactions: Yal
N

nlolotte

Hello, getting close to the final design now. Any one care to tell me what they think? Then I can start animating...:eek:

Attachments

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Looks perfect, the shading adds a lot of depth and texture to the sprite~

B

basement ape

First off, great little sprite :) I also like the red and blue ones best.

I think you tried to cram too much detail into the shaded version, so it looks a lot noisier to read than the initial version. I tried a little edit:

nlolotte.png

Basically, the more colors the muddier the overall look. And I think with such a small sprite clarity is extra important.

Too much shading makes it harder to animate too.

N

nlolotte

First off, great little sprite :) I also like the red and blue ones best.

I think you tried to cram too much detail into the shaded version, so it looks a lot noisier to read than the initial version. I tried a little edit:

View attachment 12479

Basically, the more colors the muddier the overall look. And I think with such a small sprite clarity is extra important.

Too much shading makes it harder to animate too.
Dude! That's awesome, thank you so much! I really appreciate the feedback guys

RangerX

What's the goal of this animation?
Do you want some "Im breathing" feeling here or more like "am ready to attack"? Because it looks much more like the later although he's more springing up silly instead of having a "ready" stance.

kamiyasi

The red one stands out to me the most. Castlevania, especially the NES titles, are remarkable for making the character really pop out against the scenery, and I think, the red and black design gets that job done.