• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Playable prototype: Do Something in Space

A

Ankokushin

Hey, guys. So this is a very basic prototype of a game where you will have your ship, land on planets and do stuff. I am thinking most of the player activity will be resource gathering (for fuel, food and energy), but at this point all the doors are open: who knows what cool stuff we will be able to do one day?

Nonetheless, in this prototype you can:
- Accelerate and rotate your ship with arrow keys
- Lose fuel
- Cause minimal damage to your ship
- Use a tractor beam to capture people
- "Land"
- Deploy your pilot on the ground and walk

itch.io page in case you are suspicious of drop box linls: https://erick-bonatelli.itch.io/do-something-in-space

I hope you have fun and contribute with ideas!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Ankokushin

So, the work goes on. I think I am starting to create a visual identity to it. Here is a youtube video.

Anyway, my main issues at this point.
- I can´t really make my player jump. Not really.
- I wanted the atmosphere to grow gradually as the ship approached the planet, but I have no idea on how to do it at this point.
- Is it good to have the planets have a platform-like surface? Right now they are smooth round because I am struggling to make even simple collisions in this god-damn [pdir = point direction player to nearest planet] gravity.

Niels

What code do you use for the orbital movement? I made a similar game a while back where the player could jump from planet to planet, having the nearest planet's gravity pull the player in.
That code could help you with your jump code