• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Platformer Jump: by defining MAX HEIGHT and TIME OF THE JUMP (not 'gravity' and 'jumpspeed')

poliver

GM Version: Studio (all)
Target Platform: Windows and mobile, HTML5
Download: N/A (see code below)
Links: none

Summary:
How to calculate gravity and jumpspeed to achieve jumps of desired height and/or duration.

This is a simple tutorial consisting of a code snippet with a walkthrough.

I think a lot of people who pick up gamemaker and start by making platformers use Shaun Spaldings tutorial as a starting point (I did a year or so ago).

In Shauns tutorial he has a Create event of his player object that goes something like this
Code:
hsp    = 0;
vsp    = 0;
grav   = 1;
jumpsp = 14;
movesp = 3;
'vsp' is a vertical velocity which is variable
'jumpsp' is an initial velocity of the jump (when jump is initiated it sets your vertical velocity(vsp) equal that of an initial velocity(jumsp)
and 'gravity' is a contant force applied to your current vsp

everything is fine with this approach and it produces nice parabolic jump. but my main problem with this approach was - i just couldn't tweek the jump to my liking. the relationship between the grav/jumpsp and jumpheight/speed was very blurry. so i thought lets create variables to define max height and jump time and calculate the gravity and jumpsp(initial velocity) from them.
  1. to calculate initial velocity(jumpspeed) i used a kinematic equation

distance = ((initial_velocity + final_velocity) / 2) * time
    • we know - distance[max height we want]
    • we know - time we want
    • we know - final velocity = 0 (peak of the jump)

first, this equation is one directional so we have to cut our time in half
      let's simplify and rearrange

distance = ((initial_velocity + 0) / 2) * half_time
      distance = (half_time/2) * initial_velocity
      initial_velocity(jumpspeed) = distance / (half_time/2)

since we're not working not with real time but finite frames we need to account for an extra frame (had me stumped for a while)

initial_velocity(jumpspeed) = distance / ((half_time + 1)/2)

2. after this calculating gravity is very straightforward

gravity = initial_velocity(jumpspeed) / half_time

And here's just the code if you want to copy paste that in
Code:
hsp = 0;
vsp = 0;
movesp = 3;
max_jump_height = 48;  //displacement in pixels
jump_time = 60;        //in frames

//calculations
jump_to_peak_time = jump_time / 2;
jumpsp = max_jump_height / ( (jump_to_peak_time + 1) / 2);