• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Platformer - First Project

D

Docker

I started learning to make games in gamemaker a few weeks ago and after completing a few of Shaun/Ben's tutorials I decided I wanted to make a 2d platformer.

My idea is to build the game around the premise that someone with void magic has taken over the world and the only way to defeat him is to collect the 'relics' of the four elements.

You start off as a human with a basic punch or sword ability and each 'relic' has its own power:
fire - fire wall that can block projectiles and enemies die/take damage if they touch it
earth - become rock allowing you to run through otherwise harmful objects and bulldoze through enemies sending them flying
water - send a freezing bolt that freezes the enemy
air - allow you to fly on a cloud of air

In order to face the final boss you have to complete all 4 areas, you can do it in any order and you will be able to select it using a map, the boss will have abilities that can be countered by the abilities gained for instance:
He sends projectiles in every direction with no space to dodge - you block with with fire wall
He turns the floor into a void portal - you levitate to avoid getting trapped
He has a powerful charge ability - You interrupt it by freezing him
He creates a force field - you penetrate it by turning into the rock type thing, basically the juggernaught

This is still a very rough concept that I've come up with and I've mainly focused on getting the fundamental mechanics in place.

I have a parent for walkers, shooters, throwers, flyers and jumpers with scripts that are completely modular so I have complete control over each individual enemy instances actions.

I've added all 25 animation switches for the player depending on which of the 5 states hes in and which of the 5 actions hes currently doing (falling, running, skidding, jumping, idling).

I also have basic moving platforms and objects coming out of the floor which are modular scripts again so I can create many variations of this and I've made some basic wall shooters that can shoot in one direction or multiple.

Most of it is done using states/scripts and currently consists of 48 scripts to control the players, enemies and level components, as to whether this many scripts is a bad thing, I'm hoping you can tell me lol but everything runs smoothly from what I can tell.

Here's a little video I put together, the sounds and graphics are placeholders for testing purposes, I've left level design, graphics and sound until last as these are things I feel the least comfortable with.

Any feedback on my idea or current implementations would be appreciated, I'm trying to decide whether the large amount of hours I would have to put in would be well received, as this is my first ever non tutorial followed game development it is safe to say that it'll never be the next mario.

Here's a link to the .exe and a control.txt file for you to try it yourself if you would like to:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=93576661762150285145

Last edited:

NicoDT

Good job, I see that you have implemented many different things from those tutorials.
I'm waiting to see what you can achieve. Good luck.

pixeltroid

Well done ! Bravo!

Looks really solid for something put together in a few weeks! Nice level layout and I see a variety of enemy types. Looks like your good to start work on the actual game.

I too started off looking at tuts (mainly) by Shaun Spalding and Heartbeast. Those guys are the best!

Last edited:
D

Dantevus

This looks pretty good to start. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for more updates. I think Rivo7014 gave the best advice you can receive at this stage. If you need any help testing it once it gets closer to completion let me know.

B

Blakkid489

Wow sir. . . I like it. Since this is your first. I wont hound you on sound and graphics. I mean its only in alpha right now :rolleyes: So Ill just tell you that I agree with Mr Rivo7014. But again I'm sure you have more planned here so I'll just watch this thread and see what comes of it :cool:

N

NizarPlayz

Wow good game dude! its gonna be so popular in the future!

D

Docker

I'm sorry I haven't responded, university had started so between that and sports I've had very little downtime.

I appreciate peoples feedback and for that reason I will respond to each person properly at the first chance I get, you've taken the time to provide me with feedback so the least I can do is respond suitably rather than using generic 2-3 word responses due to time restraints.

Expect a proper response this weekend after I have watched the video that Rivo has posted.