• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Platform Engine, by Martin Piecyk - updated to GM:Studio

L

Luís Sousa

GM Version: GM:Studio
Target Platform: ALL
Download: RAR: PlatformEngineTutorial.rar or ZIP: PlatformEngineTutorial.zip
Links: Author's website (original project available)

Summary:
This tutorial is a complete platform game engine, updated to work with GM:Studio. The original author wrote it in GM6 and has given his permission to update and use it by the comunity.
It's an advanced tutorial with a complete system for collisions and physics and doesn't depend on the built-in GML variables.

Tutorial:
The project download includes a PDF document with all the instructions to start creating your first game.
The download includes:
- Platform Engine.gmz - the project file to open in GM:Studio
- Platform Engine Tutorial.pdf - the instructions file with tutorial
- changelog.pdf - the changes made to this version. Complete changelog in the Game Information.

screenshot.jpg

L

Lycanphoenix

Wonderful stuff! I can't wait to see what updates this might have in the future.

T

TheVandal421

This is very exciting. Are you planning on adding any features to it or are you just keeping it like this? I would love to figure out how to add rope swings and a lighting engine to it.

S

SweetPotatoe

Ha ha, I love the Super Mario World tiles and sprites! Looks like the ground itself is from HappyLand Adventures. That was one of my childhood games, such a cozy game (-w-)

I heard that Spelunky used the version of Martin Piecyk's platformer engine for the original GameMaker (the one I was originally looking for, even now in 2020 believe it or not, but I'm glad I found this! ^o^), and apparently AM2R used a version of Martin Piecyk's platformer engine as well. So, those are two great examples of how versatile Piecyk's platform engines are.

Edit: Oh, it was posted by Luís Sousa, not Martin Piecyk. No wonder that there's non royalty-free graphics in the screenshot lol

Silly me x3

Another edit: Thank you Luís for posting this, even if you did so 3 years ago and thus will most likely not read this comment xp
Does anyone know if there's a version for GameMaker Studio 2, or if you can port-
Do you know what? I'll greatly appreciate if someone can answer the first question, or if it's possible to port Studio 1 code to Studio 2, but I'll also look for the answers to these questions myself...
In time lol

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SweetPotatoe

This is very exciting. Are you planning on adding any features to it or are you just keeping it like this? I would love to figure out how to add rope swings and a lighting engine to it.
Oh, this was made by Martin Piecyk, not the person who posted this. But my compliments to them as well for doing so!

S

SweetPotatoe

Hey, I should've asked earlier (WAY earlier), but would it be possible to port this to GMS2 without changing much of the code? Or would a large rewrite be required?

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
@SweetPotatoe
Basically the basic principles of Game Maker's simple collision functions haven't changed until version 2.3, but you need to first import the project into GMS 1.4 (as he did), then import into GMS 2.3, something you need to be aware of is of the changes that have occurred in the GML and IDE so far in the 2.3.
So you can actually import everything into GMS 2, but don't expect to not need to modify anything.

And the author of the original post is no longer registered on the forum (deleted member/guest)