Plagiarism or not?

G

Goat

Do you think it was worth waiting for a lawsuit if I publish a game in which a man with a whip exterminates vampires?

E

ethian

a game in which a man with a whip exterminates vampires
Something similar occured to me with if i publish another RPG when you dodge the enemies' attacks...

Why don't modify the idea to make it "unreconogizable" enough to avoid plagiarism?

Why not a cool hooded teenager who hunts vampires on different ways? (He's very creative)

PlayerOne

Bloodstained Ritual of the Night is a game by the same creator of Castlevania with that VERY SAME concepts, ideas, and mechanics but in that game your a woman and not a man. Can you call that plagiraism if you copy your previous work?

L

Lonewolff

Do you think it was worth waiting for a lawsuit if I publish a game in which a man with a whip exterminates vampires?
This has been done many a time and is not copyright-able.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/top10/2715-the-top-10-whips-in-gaming

This doesn't mean that some company won't try a lawsuit on you. It just means they won't win. But even if you win, you will still become bankrupt in court costs. But this is game making in general in today's climate.

Can you call that plagiraism if you copy your previous work?
Considering the definition of plagiarism is "the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own", then your example is not because it is not someone else's work that you are copying.

Castlevania didn't invent Dracula or whips. Do you honestly want people comparing your game to Castlevania, though? You're probably gonna lose out there, hahah. ;D

Mert

Apple and Samsung are keep suing each other for imitating each other's ideas. A while ago, I've read this article. Basically McDonalds sued an Irish company over the names "Big Mac" and "Mc" and lost, means that any trademark can use these terms in their products throughout the European Union.

These kinds of things are tricky business and that's why there are multi-billion-big legal firms exist.

E

ethian

Maybe you're calling to you idea "Plagiarism" because your idea seems too similar to another idea for you...

And you think if you publish the game with this idea, nobody wants to play the game because of the too similar idea... even if ideas can't be copyrighted...

Try to make the idea less similar by modifying it if you think is too similar, and make the gameplay mechanics unique...
If you want the game be popular, make the idea more eye-catching at least...