• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

SOLVED Pixelate Screen Transition

ome6a1717

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a shader can do this sort of "pixelation" effect:

I used something like this back when I used Construct 3, but I haven't found an equivalent in GMS2. Any ideas?

NightFrost

Looks like a shader at work. To describe it simply, the shader takes a region of the image and calculates an average color value out of it; every step, the size of the area is increased. Or more simply, the shader takes a color and repeats it across slowly increasing width and height, the colors just won't blend as well that way. Additionally, it appears that after certain amount of time they start changing the origin point to make it look as if it were zooming in, and crank brightness down. You say you've used the effect before but apparently don't know how it worked, so I assume you used an asset somebody else had made. If you still have access to that project you might be able to dig out the shader, which it almost certainly is as a shader is about the most effective way to go about this.

ome6a1717

Looks like a shader at work. To describe it simply, the shader takes a region of the image and calculates an average color value out of it; every step, the size of the area is increased. Or more simply, the shader takes a color and repeats it across slowly increasing width and height, the colors just won't blend as well that way. Additionally, it appears that after certain amount of time they start changing the origin point to make it look as if it were zooming in, and crank brightness down. You say you've used the effect before but apparently don't know how it worked, so I assume you used an asset somebody else had made. If you still have access to that project you might be able to dig out the shader, which it almost certainly is as a shader is about the most effective way to go about this.
Correct, Construct had built-in blend and image fx that you could apply to an object, layer, or the whole layout. C3 is an HTML5 engine - I'm guessing that means it was likely java? I'm pretty new to learning coding let alone wrapping my head around shaders :p

NightFrost

Oh, it is a HTML5 game engine? That would mean the executables run on JavaScript. I have to say I don't know about HTML-based game making so now I'm not sure how the effect has been created, as I don't know if and how shaders are implemented in HTML exports. But if your target here on GMS is a desktop executable, you'd be using a shader.