• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Design Pixel scaling and how it works between 2 objects?

R

RaeAnna Reynolds

I am new to this, so I apologize if this is a very silly question...
I've already browsed the forum and "googled" this and can't seem to find anything relating to my question...
I kind of understand how scaling works... But I'm having issues.

Say I want to create a character, for example, and I want him to be somewhat detailed, so I use a 64x64 pixel canvas. Now let's say that an object, say, a weapon for him, I want to create would be detailed enough on a 32x32 pixel canvas with no scaling. Would that look right?

Or let's say I want to create that character on 64x64 canvas and want an enemy to be twice as large as the character but yet still as detailed (same detail across the entire game). Would the detail be equal between the enemy and character if I created the enemy on a 64x64 but scaled up to be larger than the character? Or would I have to create the enemy on a larger canvas? My brain hurts. o_O

Would I have to use ONE size canvas for ALL the objects I create?
My apologies again... I know a lot of people have probably asked similar questions.

I have seen this and this. Both explain scaling, but not relating two objects....

RangerX

2 things. First of all, if you draw you character in 64x64 it will be its resolution forever. Doubling it in size will make it bigger but not more detailed.
Second thing, do not make a pixel art game with different pixel sizes. This simply does not look pro. Don't draw all at the same size and then scale up. Draw at the size you need from the start.

R

RaeAnna Reynolds

2 things. First of all, if you draw you character in 64x64 it will be its resolution forever. Doubling it in size will make it bigger but not more detailed.
Second thing, do not make a pixel art game with different pixel sizes. This simply does not look pro. Don't draw all at the same size and then scale up. Draw at the size you need from the start.
Right, I understand it won't make it more detailed by scaling up. 64x64 is just better detail than 32x32 for some things that I would like to make.
Hmm I haven't read that anywhere. Or maybe I misunderstood. Either way, thank you for the feedback! That will make it a LOT easier on my brain. :]