Pixel art resolution

N

NEWBZ

This may be a pretty dumb question but Does pixel art transfer well to 4K TVs? If i am creating 16X16 sprites and I want everything to look crisp on a 4K TV is there anything that I need to do to ensure that my game looks good on any tv of any resolution? Thanks in advance for your help.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
It can work on 4K...the trick is to make your "real" resolution an exact multiple, so that it scales up properly.

N

NEWBZ

So if I make all of my individual sprites an exact multiple of 4K that should do the trick? I’m also asking because my pc monitor is not 4K but I still wanted to plan for that resolution.

D

Deleted member 13992

Make your individual sprites whatever resolution you see fit for the art to work.

Make your view resolution a multiple of 4k/1080p/etc.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
So if I make all of my individual sprites an exact multiple of 4K that should do the trick? I’m also asking because my pc monitor is not 4K but I still wanted to plan for that resolution.
Make your individual sprites whatever resolution you see fit for the art to work.

Make your view resolution a multiple of 4k/1080p/etc.

Exactly that. The sprites themselves can be whatever makes sense for the game.

Neptune

If you're extremely skilled with pixelart, maybe try a native resolution of 960x540 (usually base 32 or 32x32 structure)
Otherwise I'd recommend base 16 or a native 480x270 (x4 and you're 1920x1080 or x8 for 4k)
Base 8 if you're really new to pixelart and dont like a challenge, but it will be fairly limiting if you progress quick.

Base 16 will scale great for 4k!

N

NEWBZ

Thanks to everyone for your helpful replies. Thanks a bunch.