• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Free Pix Picas for iOS/Android/Amazon/PC is available to download for Free now

I

iNCEPTIONAL

Pix Picas is a fun drawing App where you can create your own colourful artwork and in particular old-school video game style pixel art.

The App has been available on iOS/Android/Amazon for a while and I've just recently added a Free PC version too.

Visit the APP PAGE to choose which version you'd like to play for Free now. :-D

Visit the APP PAGE to choose which version you'd like to play for Free now. :-D

Last edited by a moderator:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I played with the free Windows PC version for a while. And it seems fun. Nice job on this so far. It could be something for kids (or any beginning pixel artist) to play around with. It's very intuitive and easy to use. You provide different color options, multiple screens, options to erase a screen, and cycling through different screens. So there's potential here.

Of course, a natural next step would be the option to animate the image by sequencing through the screens at some user-specified rate (instead of cycling one screen at a time). If that option already exists, I missed it. It would seen like a simple feature to add. And being able to make and re-play animations would increase the fun and versatility of the app tremendously.

Beyond that, maybe you could add the option to save images to disk. You could use the screen_save_part() function to capture and save a single drawing screen as a PNG file. Or you could use the ds_grid_read/write functions to save and reload images from ini files. These features might only be practical on Windows versions, but they'd add to the capability of the app.

But it's a good start as it is. And lots more you could do with this.

Last edited:
I

iNCEPTIONAL

I played with the free Windows PC version for a while. And it seems fun. Nice job on this so far. It could be something for kids (or any beginning pixel artist) to play around with. It's very intuitive and easy to use. You provide different color options, multiple screens, options to erase a screen, and cycling through different screens. So there's potential here.

Of course, a natural next step would be the option to animate the image by sequencing through the screens at some user-specified rate (instead of cycling one screen at a time). If that option already exists, I missed it. It would seen like a simple feature to add. And being able to make and re-play animations would increase the fun and versatility of the app tremendously.

Beyond that, maybe you could add the option to save images to disk. You could use the screen_save_part() function to capture and save a single drawing screen as a PNG file. Or you could use the ds_grid_read/write functions to save and reload images from ini files. These features might only be practical on Windows versions, but they'd add to the capability of the app.

But it's a good start as it is. And lots more you could do with this.
Yeah, you can currently cycle through the images like a flipbook if you simply hold down the previous/next page buttons but the speed depends on your device so it's not ideal. And I'd love to let people save and then upload images to the likes of Facebook and Twitter but that kind of thing is beyond my skill level at the present time. I'll maybe have a look at some of those things you suggested in terms of capturing the screen and stuff.

Cheers for checking out the App. :-D