• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - Code Physics Collision with a Child Object

I had to create a custom fixture and then attach it to an instance because I am manipulating the image Y scale and then want the fixture to match the new sprite dimensions. I have an object with a parent in order to enable collisions between different objects. I then have another object that has a custom fixture as a sensor that is set to be kinematic. I then manipulate the Y position with phy_position_y. I set an event on it to monitor a collision with the parent of the child objects. The code doesn't get triggered if I use a custom fixture, but if I simply use the "Uses Physics" checkbox, then the collision check works. Why is that? Am I missing a flag that I need to enable on the fixture before binding it? I tried using collision groups with no luck so far. I tried using physics_test_overlap, but it starts running the code as fast as it can instead of just once per collision. There are so many collision methods for non-physics-enabled objects, but only one for physics. Why is that? How can I program for more advanced collisions?

I was looking at this post for reference: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/collision-bounding-box-doesnt-scale-with-image.23941/

Last edited: