• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Demo Phantasm: Rondo of Revenge - Smash Bros Style Action Platformer

onjai_x3

==========Latest Demo==========

It can be downloaded from either link below:

https://gamejolt.com/games/phantasmrondoofrevenge/300533
https://onjai.itch.io/phantasm

*This current build is for Windows and is compatible with Xbox controllers (a controller is strongly recommended over the keyboard)

Start/Pause = Enter
Exit = ESC
Restart = R
60%/75% Zoom (Toggle) = 1
100% Zoom = 2
Full screen/window mode = F
Navigate menu = Arrow keys

Keyboard:
Run = Left/right keys
Jump = Z
Standard attack (Punch) = X
Up-attack (Uppercut) = C
Down-attack (Hammers) = Down arrow + X
Roll Left = A
Roll Right = D
Dash attack = A/D + X
Mini dash attack = left/right keys + Q
Down-dash = Down arrow + Z (while in the air)
Wall jump = Z (while on a wall)
Super wall jump = Press Z while still holding left or right while on a wall, but release left or right immediately after pressing Z

Xbox controller:
Start/Pause = Start
60%/75% Zoom (Toggle) = LT
100% Zoom = RT
Run = D-pad/Left stick
Jump = A
Up-attack (Uppercut) = B
Down-attack (Hammers) = Down + X
Roll Left = LB
Roll Right = RB
Dash attack = LB/RB + X
Mini dash attack = left/right + Y
Down-dash = Down + A (while in the air)
Wall jump = A (while on a wall)
Super wall jump = Press A while still holding left or right while on a wall, but release left or right immediately after pressing A

Any feedback or any found glitches/oddities would be appreciated.

==========Latest Post==========

Some screens of the game mode "Balloon Party." (Stages won't appear in final build, made only for demo purposes)

2 more songs unveiled.

==========Original Post==========

Phantasm is a 2D arcade action-platformer that I've been working on sporadically (because of a busy schedule) for almost a year now. It might not be nothing to look at in it's current state, but my main focus is making it fun and tough, but fair.

My main inspiration going into this project was Super Maro War (a decade old fangame), but when I began designing the enemies, stages, and brainstorming modes, this game was quickly becoming an homage to games I grew up with. Crash Bash, Gradius, Castlevania, Retro Game Challenge, to name a few. I'm trying not to give too many details though.

Last edited:
E

EqualiteGem

The game looks like Metroid but with more colors, it looks pretty good actually. It gives me that alien vibe. I like when the enemies die that they explode with light, it looks satisfying. One thing I would work on is when the character attacks because its hit looks weak. Add some air coming from it's attack or something. Overall the game looks great.

onjai_x3

The game looks like Metroid but with more colors, it looks pretty good actually. It gives me that alien vibe. I like when the enemies die that they explode with light, it looks satisfying. One thing I would work on is when the character attacks because its hit looks weak. Add some air coming from it's attack or something. Overall the game looks great.
Thanks, also what do you mean add air coming from the attack?

Update.

So far I've been working on the camera system, power-up system, and scoring for classic mode (I'll come back to this).

Some Power-ups & Super Power-ups:

Viperini - it'll automatically shoot 10 pairs of projectiles to the left and right.
Super Viperini - it'll also shoot projectiles up and down.

Angelfruit - it'll summon a force field on the level that will kill enemies and their projectiles on contact.
Super Angelfruit - the forcefield will now stick to you, giving you invincibility from enemies.

Mysterious Egg - a familiar that will shoot exploding projectiles in 8 directions.
Super Mysterious Egg - It'll last twice as long as before.

Boomberry - it'll destroy all enemies on screen.
Super Boomberry - destroys all enemies that are on screen right now, and will randomly go off again later on.

Camera: There's now 3 cameras - 60% zoom, 75% zoom, and full screen.

Classic Mode: The main game mode that will appear during the single player campaign. The goal is to simply reach a score of 100, and you gain points by killing enemies and collecting gems. Killing enemies in trickier ways will nab you more points. For example, knocking a bat into a wall isn't worth much. But punching an enemy projectile and having the explosion kill enemies within the small radius will be worth a lot. speaking of enemies...

Enemies:

These are the 3 common enemies, their appearance and ai behavior will change throughout the game.

Vambees - Vampire bats. The easiest of the trio to deal with, being that they're the most predictable. They'll just outright chase you.

Wisp - Ghostly balls of fire. In general, they're tougher to deal with because they have more than 1 phase. Punching them directly will activate their 2nd phase, in which they'll shoot projectiles at you. It's usually a good idea to knock a Vambee into this enemy, as that'll kill it outright.

Chomp - The mediator, for lack of a better word. They exist purely to keep the game balanced. For example, if the Vambees or Wisps of the stage are slow and easy, then the chomp will come after you, while also going through walls. But if the Vambees and Wisps of the stage are a bit tough, the chomps will turn them into destroyable brick blocks. Also, you can't directly attack them. You'll have to hit it with knockback, an explosion, or a power-up.

Video of current build:

Last edited:
E

EqualiteGem

I mean like swinging a punch towards an enemy lol, but I replayed your video a few more times and it actually seems fine when connecting with the enemy. The red box outline that I am seeing after adds its own effect so never-mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

onjai_x3

I mean like swinging a punch towards an enemy lol, but I replayed your video a few more times and it actually seems fine when connecting with the enemy. The red box outline that I am seeing after adds its own effect so never-mind.
I think you're looking at the old video lol, the red box was visible so I can see the hitbox. I removed it

E

EqualiteGem

I liked the redbox better because it gave more of a indicator of where you hit exactly and gave an affect. Just my preference. If you made redbox have some type of ether effect like the monsters that explode that would be even better. Like the redbox expands a little bit then disappears. I didn't even see your newer video until I scrolled down some more lol cause your first post says "current build". But your newer video looks much better.
redbox.png

Last edited by a moderator:

onjai_x3

So, change of plans...

Originally I was sprucing up the latest build of the demo so that I could release it, but instead I worked on other things for the main game (music, artwork, level design, etc) and tested to see what and how certain elements should be implemented. Now that that's out of the way, for the most part, I've continued to work on the demo.

Here's a video of gameplay of the current build (only minor changes from what was shown previously).

onjai_x3

Update:

A few things that were added:
- A new uppercut attack - Great for hitting incoming aerial projectiles and enemies, as long as they aren't directly above you.
- A new down-attack - Summons 2 mallets to hit whatever is on the left and right side of you. Better range than the standard attack, but leaves you vulnerable to whatever hazard is directly above you.
- A new maneuver, quick drop - While in the air, use this move to fall down quicker.
- Added more sound and visual effects.
- Slightly tweaked duration on some of the power ups.

Here's 3 videos of gameplay:

onjai_x3

Just released the first beta, and here's the trailer for it:

It can be downloaded from either link below:

https://gamejolt.com/games/phantasmrondoofrevenge/300533
https://onjai.itch.io/phantasm

*This current build is for Windows and is compatible with Xbox controllers (a controller is strongly recommended over the keyboard)

Start/Pause = Enter
Exit = ESC
Restart = R
60%/75% Zoom (Toggle) = 1
100% Zoom = 2
Full screen/window mode = F
Navigate menu = Arrow keys

Keyboard:
Run = Left/right keys
Jump = Z
Up-attack (Uppercut) = C
Down-attack (Hammers) = Down arrow + X
Roll Left = A
Roll Right = D
Dash attack = A/D + X
Mini dash attack = left/right keys + Q
Down-dash = Down arrow + Z (while in the air)
Wall jump = Z (while on a wall)
Super wall jump = Press Z while still holding left or right while on a wall, but release left or right immediately after pressing Z

Xbox controller:
Start/Pause = Start
60%/75% Zoom (Toggle) = LT
100% Zoom = RT
Run = D-pad/Left stick
Jump = A
Up-attack (Uppercut) = B
Down-attack (Hammers) = Down + X
Roll Left = LB
Roll Right = RB
Dash attack = LB/RB + X
Mini dash attack = left/right + Y
Down-dash = Down + A (while in the air)
Wall jump = A (while on a wall)
Super wall jump = Press A while still holding left or right while on a wall, but release left or right immediately after pressing A

Any feedback or any found glitches/oddities would be appreciated.

onjai_x3

Okay, so because I was more focused on the gameplay, I neglected the visuals and used mostly place holder stuff... that and drawing the art with a laptop touch pad pixel by pixel took forever.

I've ditched that approah, and started hand drawing the graphics and then putting them in the game. Have a look see:

Before

After

Still far from done, though.

Last edited:

onjai_x3

More media. This time showing...
  • Art. A better look at the protagonist, Buster, and the Vambee Trio (your "rivals") that you'll run into frequently.
  • in-game music (3 tracks done in Dubstep, Electro, & Hardstyle) The OST will be predominately electronic with genres ranging techno to liquid dnb, 90s gabber to modern chill trap, trance to chiptune, progressive to idm... just a little bit of everything to fit the stages and bosses.

Vlad - The aggressive one.

Vial - The clever one.

Vein - The wild card.

Buster - The Serval cat Protagonist. (uncolored)

Music:

onjai_x3

Some screens of the game mode "Balloon Party." (Stages won't appear in final build, made only for demo purposes)

2 more songs unveiled.