Alpha Petal To The Metal

Plisken

Thanks for checking out my game! Check out the gameplay video below, and if you like what you see, consider trying it yourself!

PTTM Gameplay:

Game link:

Itch.io:

Game Jolt:

(original post)
This is a game I've been working on for a while now. I just want some feedback on what I've worked on so far. Here's a short video of the game: there are several things missing like sound effects, enemies, and certain graphical things, however it should be enough to demonstrate what I'm trying to accomplish in terms of gameplay.

(dated link)

everything you see and hear was created completely by me, with the exception of the grass tiles which were made by Eduardo Sousa(megaoy).

Attachments

Last edited:
B

Better Nature

This looks like a lot of fun. I really like the high energy music. The controls seem responsive and well implemented (though I'd have to try them to really know). I like the main character design and animations. It would be helpful if you gave us some details on what the game is about, what features you are planning, why it's going to be awesome, etc. I like what I see in the video, but I don't have any broader context to what I'm watching.

Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

R

Red Phantom

Wow wonderful imagery! I really love the mountains in the background. Direct message me when you release a demo and I'll play it.

Plisken

So I know it's been a while since I've posted here, but I can assure I'm still slowly working on this. (it's not something I work on every day, just when i'm in the mood) .I've mainly been working on music, tweaking controls and working out little bugs here and there,I think I'm just about ready to release the beta stage. i'd say within the next couple of weeks the game should be out. In the mean time here's some music i've produced for the game: (the main menu won't be in the beta build)

I haven't played this yet (obviously) but the video definitely got my attention. It seems to have the perfect amount of juiciness, and looks like it would be fun to play (even though I know absolutely nothing about the story.) In other words, you've nailed the graphics. Keep up the great work!

Toque

Love the title. Music is ok.
I would desaturate the background mountains. Maybe the trees a little too.

Thinking flower petals I was expecting more colour.

Player is nice. Animations are good.

Looks like a good game. Nice.

Yrbiax

Hey, i tried your demo.

I liked retro feel of it. :)
It took me while to get used to wall jumping. It seemed to take some time to enter sliding mode.
I think "W" as alternative jump button would be nice. Also doing slide attack d+s+e felt weird, i think attack button could be somewhere else.

Plisken

Hey, i tried your demo.

I liked retro feel of it. :)
It took me while to get used to wall jumping. It seemed to take some time to enter sliding mode.
I think "W" as alternative jump button would be nice. Also doing slide attack d+s+e felt weird, i think attack button could be somewhere else.

I'll add some alternative buttons for attacking and jumping. Don't wanna use the W key as there might be things I add in the future that would use that (like looking upward or climbing a ladder)

what exactly do you mean with problems wall jumping? are you referring to trying to wall jump again while the spinning animation is playing?

Yrbiax

what exactly do you mean with problems wall jumping? are you referring to trying to wall jump again while the spinning animation is playing?
There isnt necessarily anything wrong with it, it just felt different compared to some other games with wall jumps. I think i was just pressing to left/right too early before jump went off.

Plisken

UPDATE

I changed the controls since some people found them awkward. attacks are now mapped to "J" and "K"

Hopefully this should feel a bit better for some people.

Plisken

Small update. Here are the changes I made. Nothing "too" big, but small changes that should hopefully "qualify" the build a little bit.

v0.2 (B)
made projectiles slightly faster

made slide attack easier to perform

fixed glitch that allowed you to slide while attacking

made block objects a little bigger

changed the sprite for spikes

made special platforms slightly bigger

made the robofish a little bigger

made the homing bots bigger

performing a drilldive on the robofish and homing bots will now result in a bounce

minor level adjustments

slightly increased the time for the initial shot when Lilly is spotted by a Rotbot.

changed some environmental things.

pixeltroid

I played your demo.
Good controls, graphics and level layouts. This is the kind of game that I would have played for hours non-stop many years ago!

Some feedback:
1. Like @Toque said, the background mountains are a little too detailed for a far away object and are cluttering the screen. Maybe you can tone it down a little.
2. Maybe the health bar could be visually more prominent than the stamina bar. Right now, the word "life" is placed very close to the stamina bar and it might lead the first time players to mistake it for the life bar.
3. IMO the pink trail for regular jumps is a little too much IMO, especially for a platformer where jumping is a very common thing to do.
4. I also like the idea of having a downloadable manual for the game. I was thinking of creating a manual for my own game, in the style of old Nintendo game manuals - complete with a cover page, list of contents, story and enemy descriptions etc. :D

Anyway, it looks like you have a solid platformer and an interesting character on your hands.

So keep us posted on updates. :)

Plisken

I played your demo.
Good controls, graphics and level layouts. This is the kind of game that I would have played for hours non-stop many years ago!

Some feedback:
1. Like @Toque said, the background mountains are a little too detailed for a far away object and are cluttering the screen. Maybe you can tone it down a little.
2. Maybe the health bar could be visually more prominent than the stamina bar. Right now, the word "life" is placed very close to the stamina bar and it might lead the first time players to mistake it for the life bar.
3. IMO the pink trail for regular jumps is a little too much IMO, especially for a platformer where jumping is a very common thing to do.
4. I also like the idea of having a downloadable manual for the game. I was thinking of creating a manual for my own game, in the style of old Nintendo game manuals - complete with a cover page, list of contents, story and enemy descriptions etc. :D

Anyway, it looks like you have a solid platformer and an interesting character on your hands.

So keep us posted on updates. :)

Thanks for the feedback! I'll take those points into consideration.

R

Red Phantom

Your game has dramatically improved since being titled "Project Pink".

Last edited by a moderator:

Plisken

Video of 0.3 changes (I completely forgot to post this here) Regarding the last post, I decided to hold off on showing anything new in the video aside from what's in the release. I'll post a different video in the near future showing that stuff off on it's own, There are still 2 npc characters I need to make sprites for. I've finished the idle sprites, but I need a few more sprites for both of them, the main one being a walking cycle for each of them but also several misc sprites for cut scenes and what not. they are only npc's so they shouldn't need nearly as many sprites as Lilly. I also need to make the portrait sprites for dialogue. all 3 characters will have several different emotional portraits of their faces that will display during conversations. These 3 characters will most likely be the only ones in the game aside from the main antagonist as I'm trying to create something with appealing characters, whilst also not making the workload too much. (I've still got the actual game to make, as well as enemy's, music, etc...) Once these characters are finished, I wanna upload a short cut scene or something introducing them.

in the mean time here's that video I should have posted a month ago...

Plisken

New update! 0.0.4 is out now! here's a link to the list of changes. It's mostly just bug fixes, but there are a few other things, like a couple of new sprites for Lilly, and improved controls:

Ladi_Pix3l

Welp I played the updated version captain. Great progress. Shatae Vibes is what I'm getting here which is nice (minus bouncing chesticles which is decent touch 👌).
Not much to comment here since it's in super alpha kaoken at the moment. I can tell you wanted to get things playable before you actually start hammering out glitches and possible platforming adjustments so I'll leave that alone for now. I'm following this project so I'm eager to see this go somewhere.

I have one suggestion if you don't even indulging in a small cup of tea. it seems you may have ideas for huge levels in the future. Checkpoints might be a need here. That's just me though. I have a short tolerance for starting all the away over so take this suggestion as if it was coming from a 5-year old who hates losing 😭

Plisken

Welp I played the updated version captain. Great progress. Shatae Vibes is what I'm getting here which is nice (minus bouncing chesticles which is decent touch 👌).
Not much to comment here since it's in super alpha kaoken at the moment. I can tell you wanted to get things playable before you actually start hammering out glitches and possible platforming adjustments so I'll leave that alone for now. I'm following this project so I'm eager to see this go somewhere.

I have one suggestion if you don't even indulging in a small cup of tea. it seems you may have ideas for huge levels in the future. Checkpoints might be a need here. That's just me though. I have a short tolerance for starting all the away over so take this suggestion as if it was coming from a 5-year old who hates losing 😭

Thanks for the feedback! I definitely plan on adding checkpoints of some sort in the future. hasn't been too high on my list of priorities since there's only one level but it will happen. Maybe I'll add something simple in the next update so restarting isn't an issue.

And yes, Shantae was one of the games I've taken some inspiration from as well as many others. Though it will probably be a bit more straightforward in terms of stage design as opposed to Shantae's Metroidvania type stages. The plot will also be a tad bit darker than those games.

Plisken

Hello! It's been a little while since I've posted here. I made a Game Jolt account a couple months ago, and completely forgot to post the link here... Please follow me and/or the project there if you can! I'm posting most of my progress on that site now. Reserving this thread primarily for major updates.