Discussion Persistent objects not working in GMS2

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by samyak, Dec 16, 2018.

1. samyak

samyak Member

In GMS 2, persistent objects do not seem to work normally when the room is changed. Only the variables in it work normally.

2. Nocturne

Nocturne Friendly Tyrant Forum Staff Admin

Could you give an example of the issue? "not working properly" doesn't really tell us what the issue is.... I'm using a persistent controller object in my current WIP that draws the cursor or gamepad/keyboard commands to the screen, and it's working fine.

3. gnysek

gnysek Member

Never have an issue with them during last 2 years in GMS2, so it's rather you have a mistake in code, or mistake how they works. Or you have placed two objects at same position, and they seems to break (I have issue like this once, and it took me 2 days to find it out!).

4. samyak

samyak Member

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15ssmcCLMlxFJC9LUVCKB-pk1u2z_hPZT

Plz check this sample project. The box doesn't rotate when the room changes

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  5. gnysek

gnysek Member

6. samyak

samyak Member

It took me so many hours , just to prove to myself that I was not dumb. I tried so many things to bypass this problem in a game I was making, inithe end I had to do the job without using persistent object

Thank you for confirming.

7. gnysek

gnysek Member

@samyak from description in ticket, it seems that changing position of object fixes this issue, so maybe try to write "x = x+1; x = x-1" in "room start" event, as a bypass for now ? not sure if this "movement" to bypass need to be done in 1 frame or 2 frames of game, but I doubt there will be an update this year, so you won't get it until mid-January - it's about one month, so finding another solution is a good idea :)

samyak likes this.
  8. samyak

samyak Member

Aside from the bugs, GMS2 in the latest update freezes on various occasions, fails to open many times, game starting/compilation time on an average is now longer, etc etc. It's frustrating