• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Persistent objects not working in GMS2

S

samyak

In GMS 2, persistent objects do not seem to work normally when the room is changed. Only the variables in it work normally.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Could you give an example of the issue? "not working properly" doesn't really tell us what the issue is.... I'm using a persistent controller object in my current WIP that draws the cursor or gamepad/keyboard commands to the screen, and it's working fine.

gnysek

Never have an issue with them during last 2 years in GMS2, so it's rather you have a mistake in code, or mistake how they works. Or you have placed two objects at same position, and they seems to break (I have issue like this once, and it took me 2 days to find it out!).

S

samyak

Last edited by a moderator:
S

samyak

@samyak - ok, seems like a bug for me, you should report it using https://accounts.yoyogames.com/contact-us

Edit: I even added collision event to those objects, and it still fails in next room...

Edit 2: it was reported by someone else today, so should be fixed soon: https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=30339
It took me so many hours , just to prove to myself that I was not dumb. I tried so many things to bypass this problem in a game I was making, inithe end I had to do the job without using persistent object

Thank you for confirming.

gnysek

@samyak from description in ticket, it seems that changing position of object fixes this issue, so maybe try to write "x = x+1; x = x-1" in "room start" event, as a bypass for now ? not sure if this "movement" to bypass need to be done in 1 frame or 2 frames of game, but I doubt there will be an update this year, so you won't get it until mid-January - it's about one month, so finding another solution is a good idea :)

S

samyak

@samyak from description in ticket, it seems that changing position of object fixes this issue, so maybe try to write "x = x+1; x = x-1" in "room start" event, as a bypass for now ? not sure if this "movement" to bypass need to be done in 1 frame or 2 frames of game, but I doubt there will be an update this year, so you won't get it until mid-January - it's about one month, so finding another solution is a good idea :)
Aside from the bugs, GMS2 in the latest update freezes on various occasions, fails to open many times, game starting/compilation time on an average is now longer, etc etc. It's frustrating