GM:S 1.4 Persistent objects and variables

Discussion in 'Programming' started by PWL, Aug 2, 2017.

1. PWL

PWL Member

Quick question. Are variables supposed to carry over with persistent objects, or are they deleted when I chance rooms?
    And if they are destoryed, why do I need persistent objects if I have to use global variables anyway?

Code:
    // Create event
    currentRoomX = 5;
    currentRoomY = 5;

room_goto(room_level);
    Code:
    // Room start event
    show_message(currentRoomX); // <-- Instant error

2. Simon Gust

Simon Gust Member

That's weird huh, I think it might have something to do that persistent objects don't rerun their creation code. But I don't know why it would forget them if they are persistent.

3. dannyjenn

dannyjenn Member

The variables should remain until the instance is destroyed.

Regarding the error - So, you have the instance in a room, and you change rooms and get the error? Or, you get the error on the very first room?
    If the latter, it's because (I think) the room start event comes before the creation event.

4. Simon Gust

Simon Gust Member

The manual states that the creation event is always first so it must be something else.

5. PWL

PWL Member

Thanks all for your replies.

The create event should not fire when I enter the next room, because the object was created in the previous room.

I can confirm that the create event has happened and that it happens once, then the room start event fires (in the next room I suppose, because I change rooms in the create event), and then get the error. The create event is not fired in the second room, and neither is it my intention.

Edit: Correction, it is placed in the first room and not created by code. If that matters.

6. chamaeleon

chamaeleon Member

Is the error due to trying to call show_message() with a number instead of a string? Try
    Code:
    show_message(string(currentRoomX));

7. PWL

PWL Member

Oh god.. It was a typo in my code there.

And with that fixed, it lead me to the original error that caused me to test with a simple variable.
    My ds_grid did not exist. Reason: I destroyed them all in the Room End event to prevent memory leaks. :bash:

Thank you all!

8. stainedofmind

stainedofmind Member

For the record, show_message will automatically cast a real value into a string.