GMS 2 Permanent license duration and v3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveInDev

Ok, you may find that the title of this post is weird, because permament should mean "lifetime", but I suspect that it is only permanent for any future 2.x version.
But what if GMS goes v3 ?
Because, as a new user of the trial version, I currently hesitate between buying a 1-year or a permanent license.
The fact is that buying a 2.x limited permanent license would be a bad deal if GMS goes v3 at the end of 2021... ;-)

So do you know anything about a 2.x license limitation, or any v3 plan ?

Amon

I know that you should stop worrying about that, buy GMS2 permanent licence, and enjoy game dev. Stalling on it because V3 may surface at some point is pointless because when V3 does appear you will be in the same situation again i.e. should I buy V3 when V4 may be round the corner.

DaveInDev

I know that you should stop worrying about that, buy GMS2 permanent licence, and enjoy game dev. Stalling on it because V3 may surface at some point is pointless because when V3 does appear you will be in the same situation again i.e. should I buy V3 when V4 may be round the corner.
Ha ha, I do agree with you but if v3 is out in 6 months, I will feel a little stupid :-D

Most likely not. I would be very surprised if GMS3 comes in a free update, otherwise it would be 2.x++, would it? From what I heard (i.e. nothing at all), there is nothing at all announced for GMS3, they just released the biggest update since years with 2.3x, and (that I know for sure), they still got a lot to fix in it. You can also see the roadmap of the stuff they will be working on in the near future on their website.
So you can either wait, potentially years, for a software that may or may not exist in the forseeable future, and save 100$.
Or you can buy it now, get GMS2, get familiar with the workflow, start working on your games right away, and STILL use it if/when GMS 3 comes, and join this awesome community.
Some real talented people still use old versions of Game Maker simply because the workflow is perfect for them, it does not becomes obsolete every time a new piece of software comes around (tho sometimes marketing likes to make you think so!).

It's Xmas, treat yourself!

P.S. That said, I just pre-oredered Spriter 2, and they gave me a Spriter-Pro license with my preorder, so I guess a possibility is they would announce GMS3, do a massive pre-sale campaign which includes some sort of GMS2 license, but that's beside the point here and wouldn't make you wait less to get your hands on a lifetime license.

EDIT
Ha ha, I do agree with you but if v3 is out in 6 months, I will feel a little stupid :-D
You will feel stupid in 2034 when you're still using 2.99 and GMS5 is on it's way with real-time Hologram Projection support, just because you're so used to it! ;)

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Ok, you may find that the title of this post is weird, because permament should mean "lifetime", but I suspect that it is only permanent for any future 2.x version.
Correct - it says so on the Get page: "This is a permanent GameMaker Studio 2 licence" - GMS 3 is not GMS 2, so it wouldn't be valid for that. It's not like your GMS 2 license expires at this point, though.

What if there is a v3 in 6 months but you bought a GMS 2 license? Then you'll have spent the last 6 months making games in GMS 2... ;)

So do you know anything about a 2.x license limitation, or any v3 plan ?
GMS 2 permanent licenses are "lifetime" licenses. That's your lifetime and GMS 2's lifetime during which you get free updates, after which you retain access to usage the software until the end of either your or the license validation provider's lifetime (see GM7 and Softwrap).

There is no official announcement of a GMS 3 release date, or even that there are plans to make a GMS 3 in the first place.

... and if there was to be an upgrade discount for existing customers (that has existed for most - if not all - major version updates in the past two decades), you would qualify for it and be able to upgrade at a reduced rate.

(Edit: Clarity.)

EvanSki

Raccoon Jam Host
Most of the time, at least they did for GMS 1 when GMS 2 came out there was an option to get a free license transfer

Gaijin

Permanent is 'lifetime'...

...For that product.

Same as Windows 95 gave you a permanent license for Windows 95. It didn't give you rights to a free Windows 10, 25 years down the road.

Up to you though. You can either start making games now or you can start making games in five years time when (if?) GMS 3 comes out.

Most of the time, at least they did for GMS 1 when GMS 2 came out there was an option to get a free license transfer
Wut??? 🤨

No there wasn't.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Going to close this as there really isn't much to discuss and there haven't even been rumours of a GMS3, so I don't think it's appropriate to speculate on things. As for licencing, the "get" page clearly states:

"This is a permanent GameMaker Studio 2 licence"

Not "this is a permanent GameMaker licence" or anything else that can be misunderstod. It's a permanent licence ONLY for GameMaker Studio 2, which is fine. I mean, I still have GM8 installed and it too was a permanent licence and the software still works and I can use it fine. People still use GM:S 1.4 and it was sunsetted years ago now and it still works fine too (for WIndows, of course, other platform toolchains change and stop working but that's not YYGs fault). I imagine the same will happen when eventually GMS2 is obsolete... It'll still work, you'll still be able to use it, and you won't suddenly lose your licence. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.