• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX Performance and optimisation

I’ve been trying to enhance the performance of my game, deactivating objects not in view, reducing fonts drawn etc. It’s now running a lot smoother, but could anyone tell me for a game that has around 1000 objects (around 120) activated, is this good performance FPS/MEM etc? Don’t know if I’m being a little vague, sorry if this doesn’t belong here either!

B0F18E0F-83DC-4AF0-A7CC-7AD8C7FCF2E2.png

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
My personal rule of thumb is that if my game can maintain a steady 200+ FPS on a medium PC then it's cool. Anything over that is processing overhead that you can play with. :)

Zhanghua

My personal rule of thumb is that if my game can maintain a steady 200+ FPS on a medium PC then it's cool. Anything over that is processing overhead that you can play with. :)
200 FPS is the realfps?
And this can be fine to mobile?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Mobile is a different beast... On iOS I'd say that 200+ FPS is a good lower limit, but Android? Pfffffff.... every damn device is different! For Android, I actually make my games have a game speed of 45FPS (since some devices actually cap the FPS to this value) and then aim for anything over 100 FPS real in the debugger on a mid-low end device. That said, most of my mobile games are pretty small and very rarely, push the limits of the device so I can get consistently high FPS for them.