• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GMC Jam Penitentiary

TehPilot

More screenshots: 1 2

Welcome to wizard jail. There's no escaping from between the walls, whether you're a light or dark magician. Looks like the Warden's got a different plan for you, however.

Go ahead and flip the coin you just found.

What is this game?
Penitentiary is a small-scale puzzle platformer. With your trustworthy coin, slip through solid floors and traverse the labyrinth of your captor's dungeon. Quick timing, gravity and solid ground changing, and architecture-warping puzzles across nine levels. I put together this as a quick entry for the GMC Jam.

This game was created for the GMC Jam #5, where it took home the honorable ranking of First Place alongside a Best Concept medal. The original entry post can be found here.

Tracks made by @TheFugue were utilized this game.

How do I play it?
Download, extract the ZIP file, and run the proper executable inside. The provided download, v1.3, is a ZIP package containing a readme file and an executable. Version 1.3 fixes a game-breaking glitch and fixes some collision code to avoid glitchy deaths through edges of platforms.

DOWNLOAD, v1.3 (post-Jam bugfix release) - 15.2MB
MD5: 0E28C256F2E3C865FF22762BAB647C7F
v1.3
- Fixed the coin duplication glitch
- Fixed collision checking to prevent the player from randomly floating out of the level when flipping a coin into a sharp edge

v1.2
- Fixed an outright crash when a coin collides with a wall during the teleporter's exit animation

v1.1
- Initial release (game jam version)

Afterthoughts:
I'm very surprised this project got the results it did during the GMC Jam, between it being rushed compared to older entries and the presence of a very easy to reproduce crash. I'm quite happy with the project in its current state, and may consider developing it into a simple web or mobile application (control schemes permitting). I will also look to cleaning up my sloppy, rushed, game-jam code and providing a *.gmz for those interested in seeing how I implemented the various mechanics.

If you play through the game, let me know what you think! This one was a fun project, and I'm glad the reception has been positive so far.