Legacy GM Pause my character while text is active?

F

Frisk2401

I've been trying to get my text system to pause my character while active, and then when you type a character it'll close it and you can move again, I have the main base down for the code but I need help with those two parts, can anybody help? Much appreciated.

pipebkOT

@Frisk2401
Just create a variable that controls if the player can move or not

Create event
Global.canmove=true

Step event or keyboards events
If global.canmove=true
{
All the player movement code

}

And when the text box appears set global.canmove=false so the player movement code is not executed

And when the text box is closed make the variable true again

A

Annoyed Grunt

I agree with the above point except there is no need for it to be a global variable, as you don't want to pollute the global context with a variable that only interests the player instance. It should instead be an instance variable.

F

Frisk2401

@pipektOT
I'm still having problems with this.. Here is my code.

Character

Create Event:
friction=0.9
global.canmove=true

Step Event:
image_speed = speed/40
//this one works, but could be slower.

if speed=0 image_index = 0

Left Key Pressed:
global.canmove=true
if global.canmove=true
{
direction=180
sprite_index=spr_chara_left
speed=5
if(keyboard_check_pressed(vk_left)){
x=x-3
}
}

Text Box

Create Event:
///Some Variables
message[0] = "A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A "

message_current = 0 //0 is the first number in our list of messages
message_end = 0 //how many messages you want
message_draw = ""; //this is what we 'write' out.
increase = 0.5 //the speed at which new characters are added
characters = 0 //how many characters have been drawn
hold = 0 //if we hold 'Z', the text will render faster

message_length = string_length(message[message_current]) //get the number of characters

if obj_text1.visible = true{
global.canmove=false
}

Step Event:
if(place_meeting(x,y,Chara)){
if (characters < message_length) {
hold = keyboard_check(ord('z'))
characters += increase * (1 + hold)
message_draw = string_copy(message[message_current], 0, characters)
}
else{
if(keyboard_check_pressed(ord('z'))){
if(message_current < message_end){
message_current += 1
message_length = string_length(message[message_current])
characters = 0
message_draw = "";
}
}
}
}

Draw Event:
///Draws the sentence
draw_set_color(c_white)
draw_set_font(fnt)

if(place_meeting(x,y,Chara)){
global.speed = 0
draw_set_color(c_black);
draw_rectangle(32,512,992,736,0);
draw_set_color(c_white);
draw_rectangle(37,516,988,732,0);
draw_set_color(c_black);
draw_rectangle(43,522,982,726,0);
draw_set_color(c_white);
draw_text_ext(54,528,message_draw, 60,950)
}

A

Annoyed Grunt

I'm assuming your problem is that you can still move around, is that correct? You should always specify what is your exact issue along posting your code, in this case, the problem can be noticed at a glance but it's not always that easy.
Anyway, the issue here is that, on keypress, you set global.canmove to true before checking if the character can move, which means they can always move. The way it should work is that the textbox disables movement when it starts (and it seems you do this in the create event) and it should then re-enable it when it stops... which is probably in the destroy event if the textbox destroys itself once it has shown all its messages.

EDIT:
Also, remember to use code tags to make your code more legible, thanks!

F

Frisk2401

Yes, I can still move around. Sorry, I should've been more specific. Oh my god! Thank you so much! I've been trying to do this for months! But how can I make it so it closes and opens with a key press? (The textbox.) It opens when you walk on it.. oh! and I can still move diagonally when in a text box, apart from that it's great. (EDIT) I fixed the diagonal moving bug.

I would like to know how to make the text box appear when interacting and pressing z, and disappear after pressing z again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as a general overview in regards to the global.canmove thing, it's really important to remember to step through your code in your own head. Each code block will execute in order, so all the 'ingredients' are there, it's just up to you to visualise the 'recipe'. As you are writing code (or reviewing it when bug fixing), remember to think about what each step implies for the rest of the execution. If you are setting something to true, it will be true for any checks later in the code block. Remembering to do this and paying close attention to it can solve 90% of bugs. I often spend an afternoon just sitting and thinking about a few code blocks before coming to the realisation of where a bug lies, which I think is a step that a lot of people skip. Spend some time really deeply going over your code again and again and asking yourself what each step is doing.

In regards to your question about making the textbox open and close on a keypress, I assume you're following a tutorial/script provided by someone else? The keypress is simple, just use GMS' inbuilt Key Pressed events to create a new instance of the Text Box object. However, you might have to provide some information to the instance when you create it, in which case the code would look like this (please note, this is pseudocode, it won't necessarily work out of the box, you'll have to adapt it to your specific situation):
Code:
var inst = instance_create_layer(x,y,"Layer",obj_text_box); // Here we create our textbox instance in the layer named "Layer" and store it's instance ID in the variable inst which we will use to give it some info
with (inst) { // Here we are using the previously stored instance ID (the ID of the textbox) to tell the textbox what we want it to show
   message[0] = "Hello, how are you.";
   message[1] = "You're looking good today!";
   message_end = 1;
   /* Overall, this code block is giving the textbox two messages to display. From the code you've provided it seems like messages are stored in an array and the final message position is also stored, so I've added two messages (they probably get triggered one after the other) with the textbox possibly being destroyed after the message_current variable exceeds the message_end variable. */
}

F

Frisk2401

Before I got help, I was doing the same thing, but I didn't make it a correct variable. And yes, I used pre-written code as I enjoy it being a typewriter style. I'm new to gamemaker, but I hope I'll learn.