• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Pause Menu Help

C

Cmi

I was wondering if anyone had a easy way to create a pause menu or maybe just a pause function in GM. I would really appreciate it if you can post the gmx file or to a good tutorial you have used. Thanks

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
If you absolutely want a source file with pausing included, I recommend buying the source code to GP2 - it also gives you weapon systems, multiple playable characters, cutscenes and a lot of other cool stuff.

B

BeastyBoy

Just create a global variable that controls whether or not everything moves, like this:

if keyboard_check_pressed(ord('P')) {
global.pause=!global.pause
}

if global.pause=false {
//move code
}

If you want the screen to dim or whatever, just draw a large sprite or rectangle over everything.

TehCupcakes

If you absolutely want a source file with pausing included, I recommend buying the source code to GP2 - it also gives you weapon systems, multiple playable characters, cutscenes and a lot of other cool stuff.
Nice plug. ;) I see what you did there.

Anyway, to be a bit more direct... The "Programming" forum isn't really for asking other people to provide an example project of whatever you want. It is to help you solve specific programming problems, particularly after you have already tried on your own and provided the code you used in your attempt. If you want pre-written code that you can use for reference, check out Tutorials or the Marketplace. It just so happens that someone posted a Pause Example today. (Whether or not they saw your topic, I don't know.) Check it out here.

C

Cmi

Nice plug. ;) I see what you did there.

Anyway, to be a bit more direct... The "Programming" forum isn't really for asking other people to provide an example project of whatever you want. It is to help you solve specific programming problems, particularly after you have already tried on your own and provided the code you used in your attempt. If you want pre-written code that you can use for reference, check out Tutorials or the Marketplace. It just so happens that someone posted a Pause Example today. (Whether or not they saw your topic, I don't know.) Check it out here.
My apologizes, thanks for the advice.