GMS 2 path_positionprevious

Discussion in 'Programming' started by mdbussen, Jan 17, 2018.

1. mdbussen

mdbussen Member

I am either using the path_positionprevious variable incorrectly, or it is not working how it should.

I have an instance that I have given a path (using mp_grid) and as it is traveling along its path I want it to "look ahead" and see if there is going to be a collision, because I am going to have multiple instances following paths from point to point and I want them to be able to intelligently avoid each other. My idea for how to do this was to "look ahead" a discrete number of steps. In order to do this, I have to determine the "step size" in terms of the path position, so that I can then use the path_get_x and path_get_y to get the upcoming x/y location of the instance and check for collisions using place_empty. So I have the following code in order to get the step size:

Code:
    var path_step = path_position - path_positionprevious;

// check to see if there will be a collision if the character moves to this location
    // we will look ahead 5 steps because otherwise there may not be sufficient time to course-correct
    var return_val = false;
    for (var i = 0; i <= 5; i++){
       var next_x = path_get_x(path, path_position + path_step * i);
       var next_y = path_get_y(path, path_position + path_step * i);
       return_val = return_val or !place_empty(next_x, next_y);
    }

However, my code didn't seem to be working as intended. no matter how much I increased the number of steps in the "look ahead" (from 5 up to 30), it didn't seem to make a difference. The instance wouldn't course-correct until it had already collided. So I did some checking and what is happening is that the path_step variable is always evaluating to 0, because path_position and path_positionprevious are always the same. EVEN when I can SEE in the debug printout that the path_position in the previous step was 0.98 (for example), both path_position and path_positionprevious are 0.99.

Am I using this instance variable incorrectly, or is it bugged somehow?

2. icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42 TMC Founder GMC Elder

check if path_position and previous are the same... like x/y_previous only have a valid previous value after the step event... so your code would not work if it's in the step event or any event before that

_previous variables are only valid from the collision event, the end step through the draw events

mdbussen likes this.
  3. mdbussen

mdbussen Member

Thank you! This was the root of my problem. I moved the code to the end_step event and it is now working appropriately :)