• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Path Layer doesn't make much sense

A

alexandervrs

Path Layer doesn't make much sense, it only serves as a means to edit Paths in a Room, but that isn't as quick as it was in the previous version.
In GMS 1.4, you could just choose a Room to have as a background for reference which was faster.

Now you have to make a Path, go to the Room you need, make a Path layer, edit the Path, delete the Path layer or leave it there littering your Layers list.

I'd personally expect to be able to attach Paths to instances in the Room instead and edit them there as well as some initial properties.

I attach a little mockup, there should also be a button to toggle visibility/editing of Paths in the Room.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
If you want to make a path work in a room, then the room is a place to edit it. We're not going to display rooms or backgrounds in the path editor.

In terms of attaching, yes I agree. I hope we can do that at some point. Attach a path, give it a start point etc...

I also want to change it so that path layers are more like instance layers, where you get multiple paths on a layer,. Currently although folders help, its horrible if you want many paths. It's obviously not a widely used feature yet as this is the first feedback we've had, but I've had issues with it myself so....

Also... if you can attach a path to an instance, I'd like to see the instance move as part of the "play" feature - that'd be very cool.

A

alexandervrs

I mean, perhaps there could be both features. Like the cases I'd want a path are:

Move an instance in a certain way
Use them as meshes/splines for collisions
Draw a shape, text, create objects etc. across that path

In the first case, Path Layer doesn't make much sense as it stands now, unless the layer is a sublayer of an instance. Attaching a path like above could work much better.
In the other two cases, Path Layer makes sense as standalone, though it'd still need the ability to have multiple Paths per Path layer.

Also... if you can attach a path to an instance, I'd like to see the instance move as part of the "play" feature - that'd be very cool.
Aw yeah!

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Paths are still global assets, it just lets you edit them in situate. But this is why we have 2 editing modes. either edit in the room, or edit in the spline editor.

gnysek

yeah, but then it have no sense to create "path" layer, which isn't in fact used in game, but just for editing...

TheMagician

I like to do and view as much as possible in the Room Editor. So I like the option to create and view a path directly in the editor, for example for the movement of NPCs or to define areas on screen that can be interacted with.

Liquid

i came along a problem with pathes as well.

there are :
layerelementtype_background
layerelementtype_instance
layerelementtype_sprite
layerelementtype_tilemap
layerelementtype_particlesystem
layerelementtype_tile

but where is the path type ?
how can i use my path that is shown in a special room in the room editor ? i cant reach it... odd
do i really need to hardwire the path i want to use in the code OR is there a way (as it should be) to use the path that is added on a path layer in room editor? I can't find a way to do that...
very bad cofusing... path layers looking very useless and distracting to me.