• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Pasting Sprites in GMS2

M

Menik

So I checked in on GMS2 to see if there was a "fix" for pasting in sprites traditionally(from an external editor).

"Note that the Paste functionality is not intended for use internally within the editor as anything you copy is added to the brush list and so can be selected for "pasting" that way. Instead paste is simply for you to capture something from an external program and paste it into the Image Editor."
https://docs2.yoyogames.com/source/_build/2_interface/1_editors/images.html

This sounds like it's what I need, but I'm not sure how it's done. Maybe I'm misunderstanding this. Anyhow I thought I would ask the friendly GM community about pasting. Is there any new solutions? If not, what are your workarounds(assuming you're using an external editor)/what is your setup?

Thanks.
-Menik

My workaround is to not use the GMS2 sprite editor as much as humanly possible. Honestly, everything in GMS2's sprite editor is a huge step back. GMS1 and prior used to have normal pasting functionality, now it creates a new brush that draws whatever image you pasted in. Try using another image editing program. I don't animate much, so I'm fine with what I'm used to, which is Paint.NET. It's also free, which I appreciate. GIMP is another good free image editing software. If you don't mind paying, I've heard good things about Aseprite and Pyxel Edit.

Then you can just Import the images, and then Image -> Convert to Frames if you made a sprite sheet.

M

Menik

Thanks for the reply. I do use Aseprite, if only it could be integrated into GMS2--that would truly be spectacular. In my frustrations over pasting I've come up with a palm of simple tips that can help streamline your imports.

Tip 1:
When saving strips to import, save with a format that labels frames and dimensions(ex. "CharIdle_24f_32x32.png")

or

When saving horizontal strips to import, save with the format "*_strip[n]" where n is the number of frames (e.g. "playerwalk_strip4.png) as GMS2 will import as an animated sprite using the total width to divide the strip into individual frames.
Credit to nacho_chicken for this tip.

Tip 2:

In GMS2's preferences, under "Sprite Editor", set the default sprite width and height to 1--this is if you don't use GMS2's sprite editor for sprite creation. Pasting sprites with the brush will now form-fit to your sprite.

Tip 3:
Keeping tip 1 in mind if you have your saved strips folder open, drag and drop works for the resource panel. Edit the sprite and hit the "Images" dropdown menu and select "convert to frames"(why is there no hotkey for this?). With the named format(CharIdle_24f_32x32), you'll have all the info to read off the sprite's name to input the info.

I really wish that the import images button on the sprite overview box imported strips to streamline the process... then again, I really wish you could just paste external sprites as frames.

Hope this helps.
-Menik

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. I do use Aseprite, if only it could be integrated into GMS2--that would truly be spectacular. In my frustrations over pasting I've come up with a palm of simple tips that can help streamline your imports.

Tip 1:
When saving strips to import, save with a format that labels frames and dimensions(ex. "CharIdle_24f_32x32.png")

Tip 2:

In GMS2's preferences, under "Sprite Editor", set the default sprite width and height to 1--this is if you don't use GMS2's sprite editor for sprite creation. Pasting sprites with the brush will now form-fit to your sprite.

Tip 3:
Keeping tip 1 in mind if you have your saved strips folder open, drag and drop works for the resource panel. Edit the sprite and hit the "Images" dropdown menu and select "convert to frames"(why is there no hotkey for this?). With the named format(CharIdle_24f_32x32), you'll have all the info to read off the sprite's name to input the info.

I really wish that the import images button on the sprite overview box imported strips to streamline the process... then again, I really wish you could just paste external sprites as frames.

Hope this helps.
-Menik
As a side note to Tip 1:
If you make your image a horizontal spritesheet and rename the file in the format of "*_strip[n]" (e.g. "playerwalk_strip4.png") GMS2 will automatically interpret it as individual frames of a sprite and import it as an animated sprite. X of the imported sprite is automatic, based off of the total image width (in pixels) and the amount of frames specified in n. Y is just the image's height.

M

Menik

As a side note to Tip 1:
If you make your image a horizontal spritesheet and rename the file in the format of "*_strip[n]" (e.g. "playerwalk_strip4.png") GMS2 will automatically interpret it as individual frames of a sprite and import it as an animated sprite. X of the imported sprite is automatic, based off of the total image width (in pixels) and the amount of frames specified in n. Y is just the image's height.
This is a great tip. Tried it out and it works quite nicely. This might very well save me some time, thanks.