• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Pasting images from other software to GMS2 image editor transforms Alpha value to Black.

J

JohnP

This didn't happen on GMS1 but GMS2 has this issue:

This is the original image

but when pasting it into GMS2's image editor this happens:

I know there are other ways to import sprites, but this keeps messing with my workflow and it didn't happen in the old Gamemaker Studio 1 =(

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Windows standard clipboard doesn't support Alpha I'm afraid. When a program does it itself, it's using a custom format or does it completely internally, and sends a non-alpha'd version to the clipboard.

Pasting from Paint.Net into GMS1.x and the alpha is also "lost" (the background is white rather than black... but it has no alpha)

csanyk

Windows standard clipboard doesn't support Alpha I'm afraid. When a program does it itself, it's using a custom format or does it completely internally, and sends a non-alpha'd version to the clipboard.

Pasting from Paint.Net into GMS1.x and the alpha is also "lost" (the background is white rather than black... but it has no alpha)
Microsoft is terrible, another reason to use other OS. I wonder then, does this happen in OS X?

L

Ludorverr

Windows standard clipboard doesn't need to support Alpha, Game Maker could easily have an option in preferences for setting a chosen colour to automatically become alpha when it is pasted. This idea is too smart to implement however (lol).

I'm afraid you'll have to change your workflow to suit what yoyogames thinks is best. You're better off importing now (Brush Pasting slows things down too much).

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
or perhaps just use the colour change tool once pasted, and that colour will become alpha'd....

J

JohnP

Thanks for the answers, I was just wondering why this was possible in GMS1 but not in GMS2... I'm using the same software (Pyxel Edit). Of course it would be awesome to have the same workflow as GMS1.

Another issue I want to bring into attention is that when using Tiles in the Room Editor, the zoom level of the tileset is reset everytime you change layer, which means that when dealing with 16x16 or lower resolution tilesets I have to press the "centre fit" button everytime simply because it is too small to see. A huge usability improvement would be if it simply remembered the zoom level I left the tileset in. I might make a new post about this.