Forum Issue Password Issue and Useless Safety Measures

T

tomoebi

So i try to login in forum today but always failed because my password is wrong, i try 'forget password' and use the exact password i use before and got notification "cant use existing password".
So i go back to login page and try to login multiple times but always failed because "incorrect password". wtf is this???
In the end i make a new password, with 10 character including Special™ character

It just funny that despite all the safety measure yoyogames try they still got attacked, and idk with you, but i feel like this is a hindrance to paying customer like me. KISS (keep it simple stupid)

rIKmAN

So i try to login in forum today but always failed because my password is wrong, i try 'forget password' and use the exact password i use before and got notification "cant use existing password".
So i go back to login page and try to login multiple times but always failed because "incorrect password". wtf is this???
In the end i make a new password, with 10 character including Special™ character

It just funny that despite all the safety measure yoyogames try they still got attacked, and idk with you, but i feel like this is a hindrance to paying customer like me. KISS (keep it simple stupid)
Your forum account / password and your YoYo Games account / password are two separate accounts.

The YoYo servers getting attacked has nothing to do with your forum password not working,

T

tomoebi

Your forum account / password and your YoYo Games account / password are two separate accounts.

The YoYo servers getting attacked has nothing to do with your forum password not working,
i know.
you missed the point tho, lets say my previous forum pasword is '123'
then i try to login and i got notif said that password is incorrect.
then i try to reset my password and set it to '123', and guess what, it stated that 'cant change to existing password'. 'due to security reason, you cant change your new password to 4 of your previous password.'
the reset password page acknowledged my password is true, but i cant login because 'pass is incorrect'. it just ridiculous.

rIKmAN

i know.
you missed the point tho, lets say my previous forum pasword is '123'
then i try to login and i got notif said that password is incorrect.
then i try to reset my password and set it to '123', and guess what, it stated that 'cant change to existing password'. 'due to security reason, you cant change your new password to 4 of your previous password.'
the reset password page acknowledged my password is true, but i cant login because 'pass is incorrect'. it just ridiculous.
I understand that, but you said...
...and I was telling you that you having problems logging into the forum is nothing to do with YoYo Games, the forum is a completely separate thing that isn't run by YoYo.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
the forum is a completely separate thing that isn't run by YoYo
Well... yes and no... :) YoYo Games owns and runs the forum servers, BUT the actual forum contents are moderated by independant, autonomous users. So, yeah, it's RUN by Yoyo, but MAINTAINED by some incredibly dedicated and helpful volunteers. :)

As for the issue being discussed, I've never heard of anything like this happening and you shouldn't be able to create a password like "123".

rIKmAN

Well... yes and no... :) YoYo Games owns and runs the forum servers, BUT the actual forum contents are moderated by independant, autonomous users. So, yeah, it's RUN by Yoyo, but MAINTAINED by some incredibly dedicated and helpful volunteers. :)

As for the issue being discussed, I've never heard of anything like this happening and you shouldn't be able to create a password like "123".
Well yeah, the blurry grey area of official / non-official etc.
My point was that his password not working and the reset password process not working on here is nothing to do with the problems YYG are having with the marketplace access problems, which is what was insinuated in the OP.

Last edited:
A

Axyl

My point was that his password not working and the reset password process not working on here is nothing to do with the problems YYG are having with the marketplace access problems people are having, which is what was insinuated in the OP.
Hmmm interesting. Only the person conducting the attack would know they are unrelated. :eek:

H

Homunculus

'due to security reason, you cant change your new password to 4 of your previous password.'
Am I missing something? It does say that you can't use a password that's been used in the past (up to 4 passwords), isn't it obvious that you are trying to use an old password that's not the current one?

A

Axyl

Am I missing something? It does say that you can't use a password that's been used in the past (up to 4 passwords), isn't it obvious that you are trying to use an old password that's not the current one?
"cant use existing password"
Doesn't seem obvious to me, given the error reported.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Potential causes:
  • Your password was invalidated so the correct one wouldn't work, so that you'd need to use the reset feature to verify it's actually yours (this could be a security thing or due to inactivity or too many wrong login attempts or whatever)
  • One of your password characters is encoding-dependent (e.g. ¤, ` ) and you're using a new keyboard now that has a different encoding
  • You changed your password and forgot it, then kept using your old one trying to log in... since the forum keeps track of 4 old ones, your previous one isn't a valid password to change to.
Also, relevant xkcd:

(Note: this strategy is vulnerable to rainbow tables so take it with a grain of salt)