Passing through solid objects

B

buhalda

I know everybody says not to use solid objects in games but I did just to save time and now I regret it. I'm making a platformer game and I have a boomerang in it and it can't pass through solid objects like a wall but I want it to be able to pass through walls and anything. Pls help if its possible.

I know everybody says not to use solid objects in games but I did just to save time and now I regret it.
Sorry, had to laugh at this. I remember saying the same exact thing awhile back, after not heeding everybody's warnings about solid objects, hahah!
About your actual question: Can't you just make your boomerang not solid? I haven't used solid objects in awhile, but I remember my enemies and stuff flying through walls without any problems when I wanted them to.

B

buhalda

Thats ok haha but the thing is my boomerang is actually not solid right now.

Huh. How are you moving it? With the movement functions? Or by just setting its x and y values every step? I moved everything by directly setting x and y. If you're not already, try doing like "x +=3;" instead of whatever built-in movement functions GM has. If you change the position variables directly, I think "Solid" won't stop your object from going through it.

TheouAegis

Does your boomerang have a collision event in it? Is the boomerang a child object of some other object that has a collision event in it? Removing any collision events with the wall objects should allow the boomerang to pass through, if I remember right.

B

buhalda

no child event just the boomerang, but I used hspeed = 9 in create event, maybe that's it. Ill try x + whatever for step event. Thanks