• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GMC Forums Pass the parcel (.gmz)

andev

But I think it would be fun to play a game of telephone via game creation. Basically anyone would be allowed to participate, and add whatever they wanted. As long as there was an eye towards adding something, and trying not to delete previous code (rather fixing bugs or reworking code) I think we could make something interesting.

If we made a rule that the game was "handed" to the next person in line (so that a hundred people aren't editing it at once) I think it could work.

Whether it would be a great game or not is another thing entirely.
Creating a separate discussion for this, because this is a neat idea! Would anyone be interested in participating with this?

hogwater

Sounds like a terrible idea, I'm out.

But yeah- I think there shouldn't be any pressure to make some grand gesture when it's your turn, feel free to just add the simplest thing.

Should we work in 1.4 or 2? I'd rather work in 2, but it'd be nice to have the largest number of possible contributors.

Also what about resolution? 1920x1080 would allow both pixel artists and uh.."regular" artists to make graphics. However it would mean that pixel artists would need to know how to scale up their work. I know that the community is largely pixel people, so even though I'd rather work in HD I'd defer to letting the most people contribute easily.

andev

Sounds like a terrible idea, I'm out.
But........... This was your idea :D

there shouldn't be any pressure to make some grand gesture when it's your turn, feel free to just add the simplest thing.
Of course not, it would probably end up being voluntary, like you post in the topic to say "I am now working on X", and an hour later or whatever, you edit your post with the file link (or pasted code that you added).

Should we work in 1.4 or 2? I'd rather work in 2, but it'd be nice to have the largest number of possible contributors.
Ah, this is going to be an annoying one. Some people don't have 2 yet. For compatibility it might be better to work in 1.4 as well, because although I have 2, I haven't really used it. Alternatively, it could be the "excuse" for people to try 2, on something that doesn't really matter?

Also what about resolution? 1920x1080 would allow both pixel artists and uh.."regular" artists to make graphics.
If it's scaleable then the resolution doesn't matter? Also it almost certainly would have to be pixel art, otherwise someone is going to have to be paid.

MeBoingus

Here's a suggestion:

Use the forum to create the list of people. Rather than everyone posting their update in the forum, why don't you trade the GMZ via messages and then cross them off the list of people in the post and include their version of the GMZ (And an exe of the "game") as a download link?

This will mean that anyone who's interested in contributing will have to get added to the list, they will only ever be working on the 'latest' version of the GMZ - and all of the GMZ files will be available as new edits come out.

This will stop version discrepancies, as if User1 starts editing File1, and User2 starts editing File1 at the same time, one of them will have an out of date version at the time of posting, in essence.

EDIT: Sign me up, though. This sounds like it could have some hilarious results.

EDIT EDIT: I feel as though a few rules would need to be added. I.E. No drag-and-drop, and comment your code.

W

Widget

I would be absolutely down for this. I assume once the line of people ends it goes back to the first person?

After doing several of these with another game engine... it needs some sort of "check it back in within a week or it goes to the next person."

Rob

I'd be interested in participating, and I feel sorry for the guy who has to wade through the previous 12 lots of code before he can have a go =P