• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Particles Question

K

Kenneth Bogle

I'm trying to speed my game up. I have one particle system global.sname. everytime I need a particle I create a particle and emitter. Then destroy them after a burst. I then repeat the process again. Sometimes in the step event and sometimes in an alarm. At the end of each room I clear the part system.

My question is it better to keep the same emitter or should i destory it after each burst? Any suggestions?

C

Chris

I don't know the exact answer to this question, but my first instinct is to say that it would probably be better to keep one emitter. Create the emitter on room start, and destroy it at room end. I don't know how taxing it is for Game Maker to create emitters though, so I'm not sure if it's a real issue. Unless someone else knows the specifics, I would experiment and see if you notice any improvement with different implementations!

K

Kenneth Bogle

Thanks for your reply! Ill play with it later this evening but for now I was hoping someone would know.

A

anomalous

I doubt its a performance issue, do you see it in the profiler as showing its an issue?

I would only use emitters if you need a stream or really need the region setting for a big burst.
Otherwise, just use part_particles_create, its often easier and not as much to clean up.

I would make/remove emitters as a matter of practice.