• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Particles not working

D

depress69

It looks like particles aren't working in GM2 right now? I'm using the following code and it produces nothing, others have confirmed this as well...

effect_create_above(ef_explosion, x, y, 2, c_red);

Works fine for me. I put your exact line of code in an object destroy event and it created the explosion on screen as the object was destroyed.
What version of GMS2 are you on (IDE and Runtime)? I am using the current beta version IDE 2.2.2.393 and Runtime 2.2.2.308

You might have to show all the other relevant code for that object including what event it is in.

D

depress69

That is all the code I'm using, there is nothing more.

IDE v2.2.1.375
Runtime v2 2.2.1.287

D

depress69

I've tried create, destroy, and then out of frustration, step

Is it from one specific object you are doing this? Is the object visible and within your view? Can you add a show_debug_message right before you call the effect_create_above to confirm that it is being reach, and output the x and y so you can confirm that it would be appearing inside your view?

D

depress69

Yes one object, it is visible (attached a sprite to confirm) disabled other layers and did a debug_message as you said, it was able to display the x and y coordinates which were in bounds

Can you provide a link to an export of your project so we can have a look? I can confirm that effect particles definitely do work, so it must be something very specific to your project and something else you are doing that is causing the problem. Are you perhaps using your own camera system that is at a depth that does not allow the viewing of the effects (not sure if the effect particles will always be visible no matter the camera system as the doc says that the effects are drawn at -100000 depth).

D

depress69

I've been testing this in a standalone project without anything but the particle system I'm attempting to create. I figured I should try to get their most basic particles running before I attempt a custom particle system and emitter.

And yes, I am in the correct room... as there is only one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/at7fxbzurjtjlaz/TestParticle.yyz?dl=0

Here's a dropbox to the project, it's exactly as simple as I've been saying but it will not work.

Just imported it and it worked fine for me. I just had to make the background visible otherwise it left the explosion effect drawn without ever clearing it.

Here's a video of it working:

D

depress69

Yeah I tried with the background and without the background. The reason I disabled the background is because I thought it might be drawing underneath it despite the depths being correct for that to not happen.

So yeah, no clue why it won't work for me then.

D

depress69

Would you mind building an exe to zip up for me from the project you made a video with? I'm wondering if this is an engine thing or a machine thing...

Similarly, here is a built exe from the same project.. https://www.dropbox.com/s/nyjiwioxo4fh0fc/TestParticle.zip?dl=0

Would you mind running that and letting me know if the particles show up? My thinking is that if you cannot see particles on the exe I built, but I can see particles on the exe you built, it indicates a failure of my local engine and not my machine's ability to render them using whatever graphics API they're drawn through.

D

depress69

I submitted a bug report, they had the following to say..

Thanks for reporting this, but it's not a bug or something we need to address, as generally when this occurs it's an issue with your runtime not having the particles or your cache needing to be cleaned as they're not included in your package initially. If you can clean your cache then try again this should work and if it doesn't then open your preferences, then under runtime feeds, change to another runtime, once the restart has happened open preferences again and delete your current runtime, download it again and then change back to it.

I haven't gotten the chance to try this myself and won't until later tonight, but if by some chance anyone else is running into this issue as well then here is YoYo Games' fix. I'll update if this fixes it.

... and sorry for triple posting lol

Would you mind building an exe to zip up for me from the project you made a video with? I'm wondering if this is an engine thing or a machine thing...

Similarly, here is a built exe from the same project.. https://www.dropbox.com/s/nyjiwioxo4fh0fc/TestParticle.zip?dl=0

Would you mind running that and letting me know if the particles show up? My thinking is that if you cannot see particles on the exe I built, but I can see particles on the exe you built, it indicates a failure of my local engine and not my machine's ability to render them using whatever graphics API they're drawn through.
I tried your exe and did not see the particle effects.
Here is the exe I built, in which I can see the effect: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5h1ri9vgce0x2o/TestParticle.zip?dl=0

D

depress69

Will be able to try that in a few hours, but that would indicate that my engine is missing something and cannot build the particles for others and not that I have some sort of graphics API conflict that's blocking the draw calls.

I gave the cache clear method I was suggested a try over lunch today, it did not work. For some reason (and maybe you can offer some advice here?) it would not let me switch runtimes. I was able to successfully download a newer (and older) runtime via the in IDE window, and I was able to double click one and the IDE offered to restart in the new runtime. I accepted but when it reloaded it was still using the original runtime, not the new one I just selected.

When I went back to the window to show the available runtimes, the GUI was showing that I had NOT downloaded the runtimes I just downloaded. I then copied the filepath it said it was saving them to and I could see the runtimes there, meaning the download did work. Then when I went back to the IDE the GUI re-populated as if it suddenly recognized that those files existed. I attempted to select a different runtime again but I got the same thing, it opened the wrong version yet again.

For some reason (and maybe you can offer some advice here?) it would not let me switch runtimes. I was able to successfully download a newer (and older) runtime via the in IDE window, and I was able to double click one and the IDE offered to restart in the new runtime. I accepted but when it reloaded it was still using the original runtime, not the new one I just selected.
I have the same issue you are having, and I was also unable to switch run-times to try and older one. The Yoyo help desk suggested I run GMS2 in administrator mode, and this fixed the problem with changing my run time. But the particle thing is still not fixed. I might work through even old run-times to see if anything will help. I wonder if the problem has to do with my new GPU. Before, it was integrated graphics. Now I have a Nevida dedicated GPU.

Hello again. I found a solution for myself! I will explain what I discovered. Hopefully it will fix particles for you as well.

All the difference came down to whether or not the project was created while Game Maker was run in administrator mode. If I made a new project, imported a project, or created a project from a different project using "Save As" in administrator mode, the particles worked. If I created a new project while not running in administrator mode, the particles did not work (regardless of whether I entered the project in administrator mode in the future). When I switched over to my new PC, my files synced from my old computer to my new computer, and all of the particles stopped working. However, I realized that I can open GMS2 in administrator mode, launch my projects, select "Save As" to create new projects, and the particles worked again. The particles will continue to work whether or not I run in administrator mode from that point forward.

Try it. Hopefully that will resolve your issue like it did for me.