• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Particle system only making squares?

G

Goat Mutation

So I had some code in my project that would start some basic weather stuff and it worked okay. Just remembered about it and tried to start the rain. But now all my particles are just square boxes. I haven't touched the code at all, so it should have still worked right?
So then I figured well maybe a patch made that stuff obsolete... so I followed a random youtube video to make a better particle system. But no matter what shape I choose on my particles etc, the rain is only coming out as big ol' square boxes. Some kind of glitch from a patch?
The rain code is below. Some values have changed from what they originally were as I was just trying to get anything else besides a square with no success.
Create event on a rain obj
Code:
//Rain System
partRain_sys = part_system_create();

//Rain Particle
partRain = part_type_create();
part_type_shape(partRain,pt_shape_circle);
part_type_size(partRain,.08,.1,0,0);
part_type_color2(partRain,c_teal, c_white);
part_type_alpha2(partRain,1,1);
part_type_gravity(partRain,0.1,290);
//Create Emitter
partRain_emit = part_emitter_create(partRain_sys);
part_emitter_region(partRain_sys,partRain_emit,view_xview[0] -400, view_wview[0], view_yview[0] -100,view_yview[0] -100, ps_shape_line, ps_distr_linear);
part_emitter_stream(partRain_sys,partRain_emit,partRain,5);
Any help much appreciated!

K

Kaltagg

Looks fine on my end. (I placed it in a simple platformer base I have). Maybe try reinstalling game maker studio? Similar problems have popped up for me, and that seems to solve it. Tell me if it works!

Attachments

G

Goat Mutation

Looks fine on my end. (I placed it in a simple platformer base I have). Maybe try reinstalling game maker studio? Similar problems have popped up for me, and that seems to solve it. Tell me if it works!
Alright, so I just tried reinstalling and it's still messed up.
I've been getting manifest errors popping up when I open my projects for awhile now... dunno if that could be part of the problem?

G

Goat Mutation

Did some further testing.
Code works for me on a new project just fine... I fixed the manifest errors as well so that is not a problem. So I'm thinking I have some kind of other code causing an issue with the particle system somewhere?
What kind of code would mess with particle system stuff?